PETA deceives and annoys the public, kills instead of helps animals

Back to Article
Back to Article

PETA, a group who claims that they prevent animal cruelty, has recently been contributing to it. Because this typically goes unnoticed by the majority of the population, the public needs to start acknowledging that PETA is not as innocent as it seems.

Jack Dennison '21

Over the years, PETA has been characterized as an organization whose main goal is to save animals. They have been responsible for making thousands go vegan with their sappy public service announcements on the Internet, television, and all around American cities and streets. However, the group that was meant to prevent animal cruelty actually contributes to it. This is going by unnoticed by the majority of the population and needs to be recognized by the public that PETA is not the animal saviors they say they are.
PETA has killed over 39,000 dogs and cat since 1998. That is 84.46 percent of the dogs and cats they receive from naïve pet rescuers. In some cases, they violate grace period laws requiring a certain amount of time to pass in order for owners to claim their pets from shelters prior to euthanizing. This was the case for a pet Chihuahua named Maya who was abducted by PETA officials in 2014. They euthanized her within hours and two days later sent her family a fruit basket. The family then sued and won $49,000 four years later, but this does not make just the fact that a dog was kidnapped and killed by an animal cruelty prevention group.
They do this because PETA’s goal is to get rid of pets. Ingrid Newkirk, the co-founder of PETA, has said “if [humans] want companionship, they should seek it with their own kind.” Newkirk has also said that outdoor cats would be better off dead due to the chance they get run over by a car or contract an illness. This is the person that leads the leading “animal rescue” group in America, a person who thinks that pets should not be companions, but should be like deer, roaming the wild.
To make sure that PETA doesn’t get your money (they received $53 million last year), donate to smaller movements, such as local animal shelters, instead of donating to a corrupt nationwide movement. That way, PETA won’t be the most influential animal rights group, because they abuse their power.

About the Writer
Jack Dennison '21, Paper A&E Editor

Jack Dennison ’21 is currently an arts editor for Inklings. In seventh grade, Dennison’s English teacher recommended he looked into journalism, resulting...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “PETA deceives and annoys the public, kills instead of helps animals”

1. Roseanne Levy on March 13th, 2019 9:20 am

I think as students of journalism you might want to check out several sources corroborating this. I suspect you’ve been had. Best wishes.

2. LucyP on March 13th, 2019 9:26 am

Many of the animals PETA takes in have been brought to them by desperate people who request euthanasia for their elderly, dying, suffering cat or dog because they can’t afford this service at a veterinarian’s office. PETA operates a shelter of last resort for animals who need euthanasia to end their suffering (many of whom have been rejected by other facilities). This includes dogs who are aggressive and unadoptable because they have been kept chained their entire lives; feral cats dying of contagious diseases; animals who are wracked with cancer; elderly animals who have no quality of life; and the list goes on. Please watch this short video to see some of the animals PETA has helped in its community: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XZZnK7G2Y0

The owner of the Chihuahua mentioned in this article, Maya, has acknowledged in a written statement that he realizes that her death was a tragic mistake, and his family has expressed gratitude to PETA for its services to the community. PETA spends millions on free and low-cost care for local families and their animals, including emergency veterinary care; flea, tick, and flystrike preventive medications; and free spaying and neutering to prevent animal homelessness, as well as replacing inadequate shelter, like metal drums, with doghouses and straw bedding in winter and answering emergency calls for assistance, such as free euthanasia services and end-of-life care for those with no funds to pay for it. PETA made a donation to the Virginia Beach SPCA in Maya’s honor.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• PETA deceives and annoys the public, kills instead of helps animals

Opinions

Taylor Swift’s, ME! is like any typical “feel good” song

Opinions

Westport ban paves the road to a cleaner life

Opinions

Outdoor learning: a way to help motivate students

Opinions

Muffet McGraw refuses to hire males

Opinions

To help reduce the stresses of high school, an open campus should be mandatory

Opinions

Reactionary school security measures lack foresight to prevent violence

Opinions

AAPPL testing should not be mandated

Opinions

Posters in bathrooms offer valuable resources for sexual assault

Broadcast

Social media: A blessing or a curse

Opinions

B3 trips leave a lasting impact on communities abroad