Westport Fights for Racial Equality

Photo contributed by Westport Now

After the grand jury decided not to indict Darren Wilson for the murder of Michael Brown and the two police officers that killed Eric Garner, 50 people gathered on Saturday, Dec. 13 at the Ruth Steinkraus Cohen Bridge to advocate that “black lives matter.”

Some students, including Lindsay Marks ’17, think that everyone is entitled to their own opinion about what is happening in terms of police brutality.  However, she feels that “when people are forming an opinion, it is good for them to be fully educated about the situation and be able to understand both sides.”

Other students, like Evan Horowitz ’15, are in support of Westporters’ actions to make a change.  “I’m extremely proud that local Westport residents have taken up this cause as their own,” Horowitz said.  “True change cannot occur without people from every background all rallying behind a common cause.”

People from every background are making changes about the conducts used by the police departments, especially by New York Mayor Bill de Blasio.  In his public announcement following the Court’s decision not to indict the police officers that killed Eric Garner, said it takes the cooperation of all people working together to make a difference.  In his statement, de Blasio said “All of us must work together to make this right – to work for justice – and to build the kind of city – and nation – we need to be.”

Alex Spadacenta ’17 agreed, “Every protest counts; even the smallest thing can affect something huge.”