To Take Or Not To Take: Getting A Ride To School

Emily Centinaro

Let’s be real: no one likes waking up for school in the morning.

However, according to School Transportation News, every morning 53% of all students between Kindergarten and 12th grade in the country take the school bus.

I am a part of the 47% who does not.

In fact, I can only think of one time this year that I took the bus home.

I am definitely not a morning person. I like to stay in bed until the last possible minute, and then, I like to take as much time as possible to get ready in the morning.

Catching the school bus just doesn’t fit into my morning routine.

Last year, my sister and I went to different schools and because of that I would have to take the bus in the morning 90% of the time.

It was hard.

Now that my sister and I go to the same school, my parents can drive us both.

It’s been awesome. I realized, after being driven to school, I never want to go back to taking the school bus in the morning.

Here are my reasons why:

Reason One: The Weather

Thankfully,  my parents let me sit in the car at the morning  bus stop. But sometimes, I would have to walk home in the awful weather. If it was sunny out, despite the temperature and wind chill, I was probably walking home from the bus stop (a good ten minute walk, by the way). And although the exercise was nice, being blasted by freezing wind wasn’t so nice.

Reason Two: The Students

Trust me. I love the Staples student body. They are some of the nicest people I have ever met. But when I have only received five hours of sleep, I don’t want to have to listen to them talk (loudly) about their weekend and which party or concert they went to. I don’t care. I just want to go back to sleep.

Reason Three: The Time

My bus arrives at my bus stop at 6:52. There’s no way, given at my slow pace in the morning, that I can possibly make it on time. Yes, I was able to manage last year. But this year? Forget about it. Not only do I still procrastinate, my workload has increased. As a result, I stay up later, and value the extra ten minutes of sleep instead of getting up early and catching the bus.

Despite all these awful aspects, there are some good reasons for taking the bus.

Casey Lu ’15 says that she would “[Rather take] the bus because having [my parents] drive me would be kind of a hassle since I live on the other side of town. Plus it’s a waste of gas considering how many people my bus can carry.”

Although the bus is indeed a very economical and environmentally friendly option as Lu has mentioned above, it is just not the right option for me.

I value sleep way too much to give it up to catch the bus.