Students Donate Blood for American Red Cross

On April 1, 2014 the Staples Key Club sponsored a blood drive at Staples High School. The blood drive took place in the gym from 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.

According to Michael Davidow, Account Manager for the American Red Cross, the drive collected 43 productive units of blood, which far exceeded the initial goal of 32. “I checked our records and that is the most blood collected at Staples High School since 2008, which collected the school record of 59 units,” Davidow said.

Students who participated had to fulfill many requirements. According to the American Red Cross website, “You must weigh at least 110 lbs to be eligible for blood donation for your own safety. Students who donate at high school drives and donors 18 years of age or younger must also meet additional height and weight requirements for whole blood donation (applies to girls shorter than 5’6″ and boys shorter than 5′).”

If students met all of these restrictions, then they were encouraged to make an appointment to make a donation.

Many students believed having this blood drive at the school was a very worthwhile decision. “I think they wanted to do something good, to give back to the community. Again, doing this could save so many lives, and if you have a bunch of kids in one place who are willing, why not?” Sarah Bene ‘15 said.

Ally McGahern ‘14 thought that having the blood drive at the school was smart because many teenagers, who are willing to donate, wouldn’t think to go to blood drive facility.

Students and faculty who donated felt that they were doing something important that would change the lives of many people. “I wanted to donate blood because from spending time in hospitals with grandparents and other family members, I thought it would be a good way of giving back to people who are in need of blood,” McGahern ‘14 said.