Juniors Inducted into National Honor Society

Ben Goldschlager
Forty-three students were inducted into the National Honor Society on May 25. The National Honor Society prizes students who display character, scholarship, leadership and service.

On Friday, May 24, 43 students were inducted into the National Honor Society (NHS), an organization that recognizes outstanding students who have demonstrated excellence in scholarship, leadership, service and character. Those who are selected to be a part of the society must partake in a service project during their senior year that will be determined by the new inductees.

The ceremony began with a speech from the President of Staples’s NHS chapter for the 2012-2013 school year, Ned Hardy ’13, who said, “Most, if not all, of the juniors in this room are about to embark upon a potentially frightening journey through the college application process. Some advice? Keep it easy. Yes, National Honor Society is about school and grades and grade point averages, but the people in this room ought to be able to use their minds to notice things beyond academics—to find all kinds of things interesting.”

According to NHS members of the 2012-2013 school year, they found NHS to be rewarding and they are excited for newcomers to make a difference.

“I had a really good time while learning about how to effectively serve my community,” Vice President Sarah Cooperman ’13 said.

Principal John Dodig and Faculty Speaker John Wetzel also shared a few words of wisdom and congratulated the new members of NHS on their accomplishments and success.

“Congratulations. You help make Staples the wonderful school that it is,” Dodig said.

New inductees were happy to join the society. “I feel privileged to be part of NHS, and I expect it to be a great forum to give back to the community,” Mrinal Kumar ’14 said.

Elizabeth Coogan ’14 agreed. “I was really excited and honored to be inducted into the NHS,” said Coogan. “Especially because Staples is such a competitive and prestigious high school, it made it feel like even more of an accomplishment to be admitted since the other applicants are so qualified.”

Parents were happy for their kids. “I feel very proud, and I’m excited for [Sara] that her hard work and accomplishments are being recognized,” said Wendy Banbury, parent of Sara Banbury ’14.

Congratulations to the new members of the National Honor Society.