Staples boys swimming kicks past Danbury

Last Friday, inside the friendly chlorinated confines of the Staples pool, the boys’ swimming and diving team scored an overwhelming victory over FCIAC competitor Danbury.

Heading into the meet, the Staples squad knew that Danbury would likely not be able to keep pace with them due to both having a much smaller team that includes several girls and also having less access to practice facilities than Staples.After five events, the Wreckers had amassed a near-insurmountable lead. This allowed the team to take things a little less seriously than normal.

“We got to mess around and have fun with our lineup,” said Tommy Aldrich ’14. “We were essentially racing each other, doing fun relays and giving kids who might not usually get the opportunity a chance to swim in an important event.”

This chance to treat the meet as a workout may prove to be a boon for the team, who have a tough schedule ahead. Despite the difficult teams that lie in their path, the team sees no reason to not have the utmost confidence.

We haven’t lost yet and the rest of the season looks promising we have a really strong lineup, said John Wisniewski ’14. “ This is especially true in FCIAC and state meets where we can enter more than three breaststrokers as we have a lot of guys that excel in that stroke which gives us a good edge.”

One of those breaststrokers will likely be Chris Mombello ’14, who has committed to swim at Middlebury College next year. The team also boasts Jonathan Blansfield ’14, who has committed to Northwestern University. With such recruited talent in addition to hard-working and improving underclassmen, the Wreckers see their victory versus Danbury as merely a stepping stone to more success.

“The team put out a great all-around effort against Danbury I’m excited to see what’s in store for the rest of the season,” Michael Deluca ’14 said.