Baseball Tryouts Hit A Home Run For The Season

2nd+%26+Last+Round+CIAC+Staples+v.+Ridgefield+
courtesy of Staples Baseball Flickr
2nd & Last Round CIAC Staples v. Ridgefield

Spring is finally here, and we all know what that means: Staples Baseball.

It is very easy to say that the Staples Baseball Team makes playing this prominent American game look easy, even when they practice.

“We will take some batting practice, run some sprints, work on our footwork, and for the outfielders, one of our coaches will throw some flies,” Alex Ludel’13 said.

The baseball players show off their full potential, rain or shine.

According to P.J Washenko, one of the counselors and baseball coaches,“Baseball tryouts is a time when potential players showcase their ability as hitters, pitchers, and defensive players on the baseball field.”

Baseball is so popular that there are around 80-90 players trying out between the Freshman, JV, and Varsity teams.

That is why it is so hard for the baseball coaches to pick a roster at each level.

For teams in all sports, it takes a while to get to mid-season form and get adjusted. But once tryouts end for Staples, the team is going to be ready to go.

“We’ve made big improvements both offensively and defensively,” Ludel’13 said. “Our pitching staff is going to be great. We’ve got everything you need.”

Since the returning players worked hard in the offseason, this is a great advantage.

“We have a lot of proven returning players that can be a force in the powerful FCIAC,” Matthew Smith’13 said. “James Frusciante, Greg Salamone, and Alex Ludel are some of the fastest and most athletic young guns in the FCIAC, so they definitely have the potential to make some strong defensive plays and get big hits.”

Clearly, being more prepared earlier will lead to a great start in the regular season.

“Our season last year was awesome and we finished with a 16-8 record,” Bryan Terzian’13 said. “Trumbull is going to be tough this season because they are reigning Fairfield County Interscholastic Athletic Conference Tournament champions and have a bunch of returning players.”

Of course, Greenwich is in the revenge category as well.

“Trumbull and Greenwich will both be strong again, we are ready to avenge our losses from last year,” Smith said.

Whether the other teams are hard or easy to play, everyone is a tough competitor this year.

“The FCIAC is one of the best conferences in the state for baseball, so every game is important and we have to play everyone the same way,” Washenko said.

The one major goal that Staples Baseball Team has is making everything consistent and competitive so that they can make the State and FCIAC tournaments again.

“I really enjoy seeing students outside of their academic setting,” Washenko said. “Baseball is a game that is meant to be fun and if you play it right, success will follow.”