Bump, Set, Spike The Boys: Volleyball Team Gears Up For The Upcoming Season

After one of Westport’s coldest winters in recent history, it’s certainly a relief for Wreckers throughout Staples that the spring sports season is inching closer and closer. And preparation for one of the school’s most decorated teams—the boys volleyball team—is already underway.

“The season is going to be great,” Todd Goldstein ’14, a middle blocker for the team, said. “We have a good group of guys coming back with a lot of experience who can play different positions. We all have high expectations for ourselves.”

Despite the team’s respectable 3-1 loss in last year’s semifinals in FCIACs and States, it ended with an incredible overall regular season record of 16-0. Although there are challenges ahead, the team is confident that they can contend for both titles this year.

“We definitely have a good shot at the FCIAC and State title this year,” said Lucas Grevers ’14, also a middle blocker.

Along with Staples, the final three schools that were in the four for last year’s state tournament were Ridgefield High, Darien High and Greenwich High.

“The competitors this season are really Ridgefield and Darien, not so much Greenwich,” coach Jon Shepro said. “Our players will be more diverse and our offense has been the best in the state.”

This season also marks a major change for the team—they’ve switched divisions, from FCIAC West to FCIAC East.

“The FCIAC wanted to balance the competition for both divisions,” co-captain Lucas Carstens ’13 said. “That means we only play our biggest rivals. Darien and Ridgefield, once, unlike past years, when we’ve played them each twice.”

This is also the team’s first season without some of its top players who graduated in last year’s class.

“It’s unfortunate that we’re losing Jonah Aelyon ’15, our main hitter, who we could always count on for a point this year,” Patrick Connolly ’13, a libero on the team, said. “But we do have Ryan Peterson ’13, who jumps really high, so hopefully he can fill Jonah’s shoes.”

The team also has openings for juniors, and plans to include them more in games.

“Last year, we had a small senior class on the team, but now we’ll have a lot more seniors and juniors playing on the varsity team,” Grevers said.

The team will play Southington High School, a non-conference rival, in its first official game of the regular season on April 5. But win or lose, the volleyball team is known for its unity, tenacity and team chemistry.

“We’re very serious about winning and competing,” Carstens said. “But we also like to have fun and keep the mood light.”