Headstrong supports cancer awareness with an Instagram post

Staples student Sarah McGroarty ’21 participates in the Headstrong Fund challenge by posting her game day hair. The challenge has reached national levels and is continuing to raise awareness and funds for cancer patients through social media.

Photo contributed by Sarah McGroarty

Julia Kasabian '21

This past month, student-athletes across the country have been raising awareness for a charitable cause with just a simple Instagram post, sparking a huge social media trend.

The Headstrong Foundation created a nationwide challenge called “Game Hair Havoc” where student-athletes post a picture of themselves with their game day hair. Participating in this challenge will help raise awareness and funds for cancer patients and their families.
“I believe that it is a unique way to support a very important cause,” Annagrace Mcmanus ’21 said. “It helps spread awareness for those who have been or are affected by cancer in a way that encourages many other people of all ages to participate and also raise awareness.”

Pat Colleluori, Headstrong Chief Development Officer and Game Hair Havoc Creator, explained how the challenge originated.

“Our founder Nicholas led by example, using his own battle to empower, inspire and encourage athletes to use their platform and voice for social change,” Colleluori said. “Together we are making a huge impact for families faced with the everyday and real challenges facing families affected by the cancer epidemic.”
The contest was created by lacrosse star Stephanie Finley and originally targeted women lacrosse players. The idea was to encourage them to style their hair for games. However, this contest has spread to all genders and all sports.

“My initial goal was to get more participants in the fundraising campaign,” Caitlin Durning, an organizer of the Game Hair Havoc campaign, said. “The nominate three challenge #GameHairHavoc was supposed to attract women in the lacrosse community. […] After launching the challenge, the nominations spread like wildfire. It has been amazing to be a part of a viral campaign, but especially to be apart of a campaign that is truly helping people makes it much more rewarding.”

As well as promoting cancer awareness, the contest also included a raffle to win a Lululemon bag. The raffle ended on Feb. 18, but the goal is to continue raising awareness.

Many Staples students who play all different sports, whether it’s school or club have participated in the challenge. Some have done it simply because they were nominated by a friend, while others have done it to support cancer awareness as well as raise funds.

The Game Hair Havoc challenge is a simple way to help those who are suffering from cancer, and all it takes is a minute or two in order to participate.

About the Writer
Julia Kasabian '21, Staff Writer

Julia Kasabian ’21 is entering her first year with Inklings. Kasabian is serving as a staff writer as she embarks on her sophomore year at Staples High...