Never have I ever not liked a college Facebook post

Back to Article
Back to Article

Dylan Donahue, Sports Editor

We all know the post, letters in all caps with anywhere between three and 50 exclamation points following, with the name of a college or university proudly typed by a senior ready to share with the world their plans for next year.

Some people may find them obnoxious, others annoying or inconsiderate or unnecessary, but I am proud to say that I have never scrolled past anyone’s excited posts without pausing for a millisecond to click my computer and throw them a like.  I have liked the posts of a girl I met on a cruise in ninth grade to a camp friend’s friend I met once at a sweet sixteen to a friend’s middle school ex-boyfriend who I never even met.  Because frankly, I am excited for them all.

As a high school student, I understand the hours of late night pre-calculus homework and sonnet writing for English, the ever-necessary power naps and cups of coffee, and the seemingly never-ending studying for midterms that all lead up to accomplishing this feat.  And as a senior, having been in the position of being accepted to college, I understand that there is inevitable excitement that you just want to share with the world, or at least your circle of Facebook friends.

Whether it’s Harvard or Michigan or a school I have never heard of isn’t what’s important.  What’s important is that this senior has achieved something incredible and is understandably incredibly happy.

I have never seen a college Facebook post I didn’t like, because these people deserve to know that, in this moment, their world is excited for them too.