New ID Policies Established for SATs, Subject Tests

On March 27, months after the Long Island cheating scandals, the College Board announced its new policies for the SATs and SAT Subject Tests (SAT IIs) that will be instated nationwide this fall.

The new policies require that test-takers upload a picture of him or herself either online or via mail. That picture will then be posted on the test roster and on the individual’s admission ticket.

The registration further requires test-takers to specify their high school so that the guidance office in each school will have the ability to receive each students’ scores. High schools receiving is no longer optional. Finally, standby testing will be eliminated.

According to data from the Educational Testing Service (ETS), the security company that represents the SAT, 99 percent of the three million students who take the SAT every year do so honestly. What the test company did not address, however, is the one percent who are caught.

In a January episode of “60 Minutes,” ETS President Kurt Landgraf said, “It’s very important that we not overreact to this case or any future cases, and do things that would be onerous and detrimental to the actual long-term security or access for the administration.”

The new College Board policies bring new responsibilities for students, proctors, and guidance counselors alike.

Guidance counselor William Plunkett understands the security concerns, but is hesitant about the new responsibility that the system will put on guidance counselors.

“Where the accountability of this process falls is my question,” Plunkett said. “A lot of schools around the country aren’t like Staples, and will have a hard time allotting the time to identify each individual student. Even so, at Staples, the caseload is large for counselors, and it could be an easy mistake to misidentify someone.”

Although Plunkett believes that the changes add new complexities, he thinks that it must be more of an issue than the test companies are leading to, or they wouldn’t be going through the trouble.

For students like Jill Rappaport ’13, the changes are welcomed.

“Although they are tedious, the changes connect to the direct source of the problem that comes from students taking the tests at schools where they cannot be identified,” Rappaport said.

Rappaport believes that standardized test scores can differentiate one student from another in the college process, and changes are needed to make the process fair.

For current sophomores, the changes will appear to be standard protocol. Cassie Feldman ’14 is going into the testing process more confident that the system for standardized testing is accurate.

“I think cheating will always occur, but at least the test companies are taking action to do what they can to lower the number,” Feldman said.

Starting in 2012, the world of standardized testing will begin combating the corruption that has occurred for years. The changes are significant, but the College Board is collaboratively pushing for the number of cheaters to be zero.

“It’s hard to imagine how the process will all work, but it’s definitely for the bettering of the college process,” Plunkett said.

View Comments (1)