A Deli Revived in Downtown Westport

Every food venue has its own story, and Art’s Delicatessen is no exception. Yet at Art’s, that story may be a little longer than the average deli’s. Richard Falcone Sr. has reopened the deli his father, Arthur Falcone, owner from 1969 to 1990. Falcone intends to begin anew, but he has also reopened the previously well-known deli in order to continue the legendary reputation it carried in its first 21 years, just about two decades ago.

Art’s Deli had its grand opening this past Monday, Jan. 9 at 13 Post Road West, near downtown Westport. Those who have lived in Westport long enough may have done a double take on the new store front, wondering if it the deli had ever closed at all. Art’s Delicatessen has been reopened in its original location, in its original condition, by the original family. “Its an up-to-date old deli,” said Falcone.

Falcone has been waiting for the space at 13 Post Road West to vacate so he could bring back Art’s exactly the way it was, and back to the people who loved it. Falcone grew up working in Art’s Deli from the time he was a child until the deli closed, and remembers it fondly as a customer oriented business that “lived for its customers, did whatever they asked, always had the freshest meat, and was noted for its huge sandwich.”

With that in mind, Falcone waited until finally, he could bring Art’s back just as it was, minus a change in the phone number and some updates due to health codes. Now, in 2012, Falcone hopes to bring “personal service, great, great price, and the best, best quality.” With basic hard roll sandwiches within the $5 range and “huge” subs that, according to Falcone, are large enough for two people, in the $6 range, its no challenge to grab a fulfilling and protein rich meal for under $10 at Art’s.

Where expenses are lacking, Falcone is confident that quality is not. All the bread comes fresh from New York, and Falcone himself scouts all over for the best meat out there, at the best prices out there.

The great pricing, quality food, and attentiveness to customer satisfaction may be what has brought back many Westporters who went to Art’s when it first was open. “A lot of customers were [high school students] and now they’re grown up and they’re bringing their kids back in. Everybody has their own little stories,” said Falcone.

In the few days since Art’s had its grand opening, the Delicatessen has had nonstop success—what Falcone described with a laugh as “crazy—but very good.”

Whether you are a new customer, or someone familiar with the magic of Art’s Delicatessen, Falcone recommends Art’s two signature sandwiches: the Italian combo and the roast beef, which is cooked at the deli.

Falcone can be found behind the counter; giving his customers the same care his father once did. “I thank everybody in town,” said Falcone, “I can’t wait to service them again.”