Community Questions Cheerleaders’ Tradition of Baking

Photo by Alex Nitkin 10
Photo by Alex Nitkin ’10

Petey Menz ’11 and Alex Nitkin ’10
News Editor and Managing Editor

Photo by Alex Nitkin '10
Photo by Alex Nitkin '10

When Olivia Stanley ’13 joined the cheerleading team at the beginning of the school year, she didn’t quite know what was to be expected of her.

Now she knows, however, that being on the squad means energizing crowds at home games, executing complicated acrobatic feats with her teammates, and baking for her senior football player.

Every Thursday night, at the football team’s weekly pasta dinner before their big game on Saturday, Stanley gives Alex Mullen ’10 a cake she baked herself. She also decorated a painted poster for Mullen that now hangs on the windows surrounding the cafeteria, as did her 20 teammates for their respective players.

Before the start of the football season every year, the cheerleading team gets together and decides which player each will bake for. Many of them choose their player, but freshman like Stanley, who were new to the school and unfamiliar to the footballers, were each randomly assigned an athlete. Stanley was assigned to Mullen.

“She was okay with it, and so were a lot of younger cheerleaders in the same boat as her,” Mullen said. “She came up to me on the first day and said hi, and we introduced each other.”

Stanley had not expected to bake for him, but she saw no problem with it.

“At the first pasta dinner, I asked who my player was and then I gave him his cake,” Stanley said. “It was fine.”

Stanley’s nonchalant attitude towards the practice is similar to that of most cheerleaders. Her mother Beverly, however, has a different opinion.

“They never told any of the parents that this would happen,” she said. “…I was walking my dog the other day telling everyone how sexist this is.”

Other parents, like Kathy Gabbay, have similar feelings.

“It seems like the perpetuation of a ’50s mindset about cheerleading,” said Gabbay, the mother of  former cheerleader Anna Gabbay ’06. “I think it undermines the team itself for them to have the responsibility of baking for football players and assigning football players for each girl…In 2005 and 2006, other parents thought it was ridiculous too.”

When Gabbay’s younger daughter Natasha, an “Inklings” editor, came to Staples, she encouraged her not to try out for the cheerleading team.

“Inklings” contacted cheerleading coach Jocelyn Sadlon for a response, but she declined to comment, as she felt she had not had enough experience with the tradition to speak comfortably about the subject.

The cheerleading captains all acknowledge that parents often complain, but they maintain that these negative attitudes are generally unfounded.

“Some parents occasionally say something, but they don’t know all the information,” said quad-captain Rebecca Teplitz ’10. Fellow captain Brooke Kranz ’10 agreed.

“Some parents don’t think that it’s right, but it’s a tradition,” Kranz said. “It’s more for fun.”

Furthermore, the captains assert that baking and decorating for the players is purely optional.

“Nothing is mandatory…you don’t really have to, but a lot of girls do it,” said cheerleading quad-captain Jourdan Friedman ’10.  “A lot of girls bake—I don’t know how that started up, but it’s a really old tradition, and a lot of girls have decided not to do that, and that’s completely fine.”

This year, however, every cheerleader is participating. Kathy Gabbay and Beverly Stanley hold that although the tradition is technically voluntary, younger cheerleaders are pressured to participate.

“They’ve said it’s optional, but it is not optional because everyone else is doing it,” Stanley said.

The cheerleaders also defended the practice with the argument that football players give them gifts in return.

“…Football players will do things like bake for us sometimes, and come to our competitions,” Friedman said.

Friedman later admitted, however, that football players generally only bake and attend cheerleading competitions once a year, at the FCIAC finals in February.

She also responded to accusations of sexism by saying that responsibilities are not delegated by gender, and that if a male student were on the cheerleading team, he would most likely bake for a football player.

“It’s not like a girl or boy thing, it’s just cheering for your football player,” Friedman said.

This then raises the question of why football team co-manager Eric Wessan ’10 was provided with a cheerleader while the other co-manager, Breezi Toole ’10, did not have a cheerleader until recently.

“Eric played football for three years, so that’s why he has a cheerleader,” said Toole before she was assigned her own cheerleader.  “And he’s a boy, obviously. All the cheerleaders are girls—I wouldn’t want one.”

However, when “Inklings” contacted Friedman for comment, she gave a different explanation.

According to Friedman, the captains had not been aware that Toole was a manager, and they would have provided her with a cheerleader if they had known.

The day after Friedman was contacted, she and her three fellow captains informed Toole that from that point on, she would have a cheerleader baking for her.

Toole was surprised at this development.

“I definitely think it’s a little funny…because I’m a female manager,” Toole said.

While debate in the Staples community remains divided over the issue, it’s fairly common elsewhere in the country.

Varsity, a national cheerleading organization based in Memphis, Tenn.,  encourages cheerleaders on its website to decorate football players’ lockers and make them “care packages” with “food and other goodies.”

Shelia Noone, Varsity’s  vice president of public relations, said that although she has heard accusations of sexism, “that’s not a nationwide belief.”

Most students at Staples share the feeling that the baking is fun and harmless.

“I’ve never met anyone who said it was really terrible,” Mullen said. “It’s become a tradition, so we just run with it.”

Still, some parents feel that this explanation is not enough to justify the practice.

“I respect the athletes themselves, and I’m not negative about cheerleading, I just don’t think they have to be subservient to the football team,” Gabbay said.  “I’d like them to move forward in their traditions and let some of the more antiquated traditions go.”

View Comments (31)