Dreaming of Jun(o)

A beautiful winter scene filled with freshly fallen snow fills Westport and surrounding areas.

Caroline O'Kane, Staff Writer

The bell rings at 11:45 and students celebrate the early dismissal with thoughts of ‘The Blizzard of the Year’ that lies ahead. The air has dropped to 20 degrees and small flurries are floating down, creating a thin layer over the ground, preparing us for the massive amounts of snow that lie ahead. Moms fill their supermarket carts with bread, sandwiches and ice cream.

James, head of the meat department from Fresh Market, says the store today was busier than he can remember for any of the recent year’s storms. “Starting at 8 a.m. herds of people were rushing to stock up on meats,” he began, “I just hope their power doesn’t go out on them and the meat goes to waste,” he continues laughing.

Co-worker, Emerald, who works at the cash register reports, “Today was crazy. I haven’t had lunch, and it’s 4:00 p.m.”

The buzz throughout the school day was talk of not only a snow day on Tuesday, but Wednesday too, and even dreams for the rest of the week’s fate. Reece Armstrong ’16 said as he was leaving school, “I am going home and staying there. I am ready to relax until at least Thursday.”

Differently, Aliza Dodge ’19 is glad to have to the afternoon off but hopes to be back at school soon. “I love having no school, but I am never going to get back in the swing of everything with all this time off.”

As the snow accumulates and keeps us warm inside, the winds will be picking up and temperature dropping lower every hour.

Screen Shot 2015-01-28 at 5.11.48 PM
Last one standing. A single orange juice is left on the self at Fresh Market.
An entire self that is dedicated to eggs is left near empty.
Few rolls and variations of bread are left at Fresh Market.
 The meat section, very picked over at Fresh Market Monday afternoon is all that is left. Workers hope the power doesn't go out or many customers will be left with unrefrigerated meat.

The meat section, very picked over at Fresh Market Monday afternoon is all that is left. Workers hope the power doesn’t go out or many customers will be left with unrefrigerated meat.
The chocolate covered pretzels are one of the many candy jars that are empty. Ice cream, M&M’s and pretzels proved to be a crowd favorite.
Ice melting salt fills the shelves as residents rush to purchase some in hopes of keeping their driveways and roads safe.

Fire logs sell out to keep houses warm in fear of power outages.

Batteries and flashlights: sold out.
Batteries and flashlights: sold out.
Lines for gas flowed into the streets as the storm began to make its mark Monday afternoon.
Cannons hold the fort facing the Long Island sound with strong winds at Compo.
Waves cascade onto the shore, larger than usual as seagulls rest on the surface.
Heavy snow rests on top of an outdoor light, the snow beginning to accumulate at a very fast rate.
Large snowflakes fill the horizon after sunset Monday night.
Snow plows fill the streets all day Tuesday in hopes of clearing the roads for safe driving.
The path behind Westport Public Library without a footprint creates a peaceful walk in the cold.
 A perfect way to end a snow day. Homemade chocolate chip cookies baked to perfection.