A February staycation has a lot to offer

The halls are buzzing of students counting down the days until they escape to white sand beaches with blinding blue oceans or how soon they’re able to embrace their freedom on the ski slopes.

Unfortunately, I’m not one of those people.

I’ll be bearing the cold for a week in the boring, and seemingly empty Westport.

February break is unlike any other break we have during the school year. There’s no holiday spirit like December, and no sense of spring or pleasant weather like April. It’s just a week of bitter weather and slush-filled streets.

If you’re staying home for break, here are some ideas to make the most out of your “staycation:”

Catch up on movies

Break is the perfect time to catch up on movies about to go out of theaters and new releases. “Frozen” has been in theaters since November but if you haven’t seen it yet it’s a must see.

“Endless Love” is a modern day version of Romeo and Juliet starring Alex Pettyfer and Gabriella Wilde that comes out February 14, just in time for break.

Go to the city

New York City is only an hour train ride away and makes a fun day trip. You can embrace the cold and go ice-skating in Central Park, see a Broadway show, or shop the President’s Day weekend sales.

Try one of the new restaurants in Westport

Java, an upbeat coffeehouse, just opened downtown a couple weeks ago. The Granola Bar and Little Barn are other recent additions to Westport dining.

Just because you’re home for the week doesn’t mean you have to be bored the entire time.

And brace yourself for the beach Instagrams, that’s when the jealousy really sets in.