Varsity Field Hockey Loses First Game to Questionable Goal


Forward Caroline Steffen ’10, fights to bring the ball up the field.

Forward Caroline Steffen '10, fights to bring the ball up the field.
Forward Caroline Steffen '10, fights to bring the ball up the field. | Emily Kowal '12

Stevie Klein ’12 and Emily Kowal ‘12
Web Features Editor and Web A&E Editor

After a tough fight, Staples Varsity Field Hockey lost 0-1 to Fairfield Warde High School in their first game of the season.

Missing the third captain, Katya Strage ’10, co-captains Amanda Stewart ’10 and Lucy Goss ’10 stepped up their game in order to compensate for her absence.

In the first half, the Lady Wreckers had some good short passing and were able to bring the ball up the field numerous times but lacked the offensive push needed to get it in.

Early in the second half, after a lot of back and forth passing up and down the field, Warde managed to score a goal, which was later considered questionable.

Elizabeth Driscol ‘11, starting left defender, said that the ball shot into the goal and went over her head, which is considered a dangerous play.

Driscol also said that the referee looked hesitant about calling the goal, and only made the hand notion after the other team started cheering.

Goalie Jenn Hoets ’11 and Driscol attribute part of the loss to the over usage of the left side of the field, Warde’s stronger side. They note that the team is strong on passing, but when the ball was brought up to the goal they just couldn’t get it in.

“A lot of really excellent players graduated. Because of that loss we’ve been working hard at practice. We have a young team and a solid foundation, however, we have to work the extra mile to get back the sparkle we had last year,” said Hoets.

Assistant Coach Renee Molazzi said that fouls and lack of shots is what lost the game.

About the questionable goal, Molazzi said that, “Regardless of the call, they scored, we played harder, and we need to do that before the goal.”