The Impossibility of Keeping New Year’s Resolutions

Elizabeth Camche and Abbey Fernandez

The start of each New Year begins exactly the same: making a list of New Year’s resolutions.

As I wake up the morning of January 1, no matter what year it is, I feel refreshed and energized as if I was just given a chance to redo my life. In this new year I have the opportunity to make myself a better person all around. A person who really does go to the gym everyday, eats healthier, and is nicer to his or her parents.

So, I fall asleep that night feeling better then ever and ready to conquer the world as the new and improved person that I’ve become.

Unfortunately, these resolutions never last very long and by January 3rd I’m already screaming at my parents from my bedroom, as I snack on bags of potato chips and gummy bears.

Through my seventeen years of life, I’ve just never been able to keep my New Years resolutions. It is simply impossible for me to become a better person overnight. And even though I have never kept them any year before, I wake up every New Years day thinking that this might actually be the year, the year that I finally keep my resolutions.

I truly admire any person that has the ability to actually follow through with their resolutions. It takes serious dedication and hard work to change your ways.

New Years resolutions are really a funny thing. What makes us think that just because it’s the start of the New Year we can become different people? I mean, it really is just any other ordinary day besides the fact that the year on the calender has changed.

I realize that I’ve essentially just said new years resolutions are dumb, so for fear of sounding like too much of a pessimist I’ll acknowledge that the idea is a good one.

Everyone has those things they wish they could change about themselves, whether it is to try harder in school or do more adventurous things. New Years resolutions provide people with the outlet to actually try and be the people they wish they could be. Even though most of the time, people don’t stick with them for a whole year, maybe they do one crazy thing they never would have done before and hey that’s better then nothing.

So this year, I’m going to do the impossible. I will try and keep all of my New Year resolutions for 2013 for as long as I can. And even if I only do them for a week, at least I gave it a shot.