It’s Hard to be this Indie

Let’s be honest, being indie is a full time job.

Out of all the labels in Staples High School(or the world), indie people have to work the hardest to be themselves. It’s very time consuming; do you have any idea how long I spend every morning on my outfit, trying to make it look effortlessly artsy?

There’s a lot more to our kind than pink dip-dyes and nose piercings. I’m being real, here.

I hear the word “indie” a lot these days, but the sad thing is that many people don’t even know what it means.  “An indie person is someone who walks around with a camera around their neck. But it has to be one of the old ones, with the film,” says Liam Smith ’13. I have a couple of those I bought from a vintage store. None of them work, but I still like the feeling of being dragged down by a clunky pentax that hasn’t worked since the 80’s.

“I think it’s about clothes, and taking pictures is also a big part of it,” says Jessica Adrian ’13. This is the problem that we encounter. People think that we’re all about appearances but in reality, we run much deeper than that.

Being a hipster is about rejecting all conformity. The indie way of life is taking the road less traveled, and being free of conventionality. We’re completely independent.

The best thing about being indie is being unique. Only certain special people can spend more money to make it look like you have less. “An indie person is someone who goes against the norm. They try to be as different as possible and whoever is the most ridiculous is the most indie,” says Maggie Kniffin ’13. We had this interview at an underground music venue. You’ve probably never heard of it.

We understand that you all want to be like us. We’re an elite group of people, and it’s hard to be this cool. You want to be different. I get it.

All right guys, but in all seriousness this madness needs to end. “Indie,” and “hipster” are just words. “I personally don’t think I’m indie, I’m just Maggie,” says Kniffin. “I’d much rather be called ‘creative’ or ‘interesting.’ I don’t want to deal with having a label to my name.” There’s no need to try and brand yourself.

The great thing is, there is nothing more different and unique than exactly who you are. There’s no one in the world that is exactly like you. So embrace it, and reject the labels.

Indie people are too mainstream anyway.

View Comments (1)