The Who-ador?

Over the last few weeks, one Fortuna’s sandwich has become the talk of the town here at Staples High School. It’s not the Chicken Parm, the Godfather, or the #35 with no onions. It’s called the “Matty-dor”, named after Staples senior Matty Campbell ’13, its presumptive creator.

The “Matty-dor” is an interesting combination of two American barbecue classics, pulled pork and macaroni and cheese. In fact, Campbell first tried the combination at a family barbecue a few weeks prior to the serving of the first Mattydor and claims to have gotten the idea from that.

However that detail is the beginning of a controversy that has been swarming around the Mattydor since it’s inception. How did Cambell come up with the idea on that September day?

Campbell’s story of the first Mattydor is that him and his “boys went to Fortunas after a quick workout and (Campbell) was hungry.” Campbell normally orders the “number 33 with mayo and mozzarella” but on this day he was hungrier and “wanted to try something different.” What transpired next is the source of the controversy.

Campbell claims that he saw the pulled pork in the window and knew it was meant to be. “I needed something to put on it, and the mac and cheese was looking mad nice that day, and since I had tried that combination a few weeks earlier at a family barbecue, I thought I’d try it again,” Campbell said.

While that story sounds fairly believable, one of Campbell’s “boys” Greg Salamone ’13 remembers it quite differently.

Salamone doesn’t believe Campbell’s barbecue story but agrees with the events of the first ordering up until the actual moment that the sandwich was ordered. “That is where I came in,” Salamone said. “I interrupted his endless quest for a new sandwich, with an idea of my own: pulled pork glazed with just the right amount of barbecue sauce, nestled with macaroni and cheese inside a grinder.”

Salamone’s frustration set in after he realized that Campbell had taken full credit for the sandwich and the right to it’s name, a name that grinds Salamone’s gears. ” The best name he could think of was the Mattydor,” Salamone said. “Knowing Matty’s corny sense of humor, I’m not surprised by his choice. It doesn’t bother me that much to know that my idea was stolen, but every time somebody asks for a Mattydor, I cringe slightly.” Campbell claims that he did have other ideas for the name of the sandwich such as “The Friendship Sandwich” or “A Night in Guatemala” and that Salamone actually had no effect on what he was going to put on the sandwich.

“Whether he was with me or not, that sandwich was going to be ordered,” said Campbell. “He thinks he’s like one of the Winklevoss twins and I’m like Mark Zuckerberg, but let’s be real here (the Winklevoss’) didn’t win that lawsuit and neither will he.”

Salamone echoes the comparison to the famous “Facebook Lawsuit” and says that he can now “sympathize a little more for the Winklevoss twins.” Salamone, however, claims he’s “almost positive” he won’t sue Campbell.

Regardless of the future of The Mattydor, the sandwich is currently named after Campbell, something that he compares to “that feeling you get when you realize it’s clementine season.”