Navigating Staples

Invisibility Boost: Late Passes

There’s nothing quite like the comforting pink glow that emanates from a late pass.

They’re rare, especially ones with the glorious little box marked “Excused” checked, Patty’s signature freshly inked. This pink glow wraps around you like a shield; suddenly, whilst clutching this small piece of paper, you are free to roam the halls and make all the pit stops you want.

At least until the effects wear off, and your teacher notices the time on the pass was 15 minutes ago.

Big Branches: Groups of Friends

When it’s a large cluster of upperclassmen, the issue is more problematic. But more often than not, this obstacle is a gaggle of squealing freshmen girls or trying-to-be-cool freshmen boys.

Fortunately for seniors, the jump to clear them isn’t too high.

“I just walk up to them and stand there. I don’t say a word, I don’t do anything. And they just part like the red sea,” Shweta Lawande ’12 said.

Dan Haroun ’12 adds, “If they don’t, then I power through them like a knife slicing through butter.”

Collecting Coins: Pit Stops

Everyone’s familiar with the common detours of a Staples student. This includes anything that makes you go out of your way: rushing to get a granola bar before your next class, scrambling to print an essay in the five minutes between Math and English.

Little Branches:

Freshmen

In Temple Run, avoiding these nuisances is as simple as a small jump, or even just moving to the side. But seniors have created an easier way.

“Just step on them,” Hanna Ahlgrim ’12 said.

Fire and Skulls: Teachers

We all know that one teacher who loves to stop us in the halls and have a detailed conversation about last night’s homework that no one did. It’s like they don’t even notice us practically bouncing up and down on the balls of our feet, seconds away from yet another tardy. Get the picture: we’re in a rush.The best bet is to duck and avoid. Or else you’re toast.

Mega Coin: Sandwiches

After days of sprinting through hallways to make it to class on time, knocking down underclassmen and maneuvering around slow students, you’ll occasionally get that one day where your training pays off.

It’s the day you make it to the front of the sandwich line.

Sometimes it’s because your class has let out early. Sometimes it’s because of some serious bobbing and weaving skills. But every time, Colleen’s smiling face is a reward in itself.