The Thoughts of a Cafeteria Critic

The+Thoughts+of+a+Cafeteria+Critic+

When I walked into the bright, linoleum-floored Staples for my freshman tour, I was full of questions. Among the highest priorities of questions was to ask about the food in the cafeteria, considering the fact that I’m a self-proclaimed noshing addict. My tour guide told me that I would never have any trouble finding food to eat in the cafeteria.

I was lied to.

Daily and without exception, I find myself roaming meaninglessly throughout the cafeteria for at least ten minutes hoping I’ll find something to eat that will not only be edible and taste good, but will actually keep me full for more than two hours.

Of course the first thing that will pop into the mind of whoever reads this is getting a sandwich. Let me say, I love when Amber makes me my Swiss and cheddar on ciabatta turbo-ed. But fifteen minutes waiting in line and ten anxiously awaiting my deliciously melted sandwich is just too much to do on a daily basis.

Then there’s the pizza. Yep, the one with enough grease to make a full batch of French fries. Or there’s the section of pizza rolls and burgers that are only allowed to be eaten by boys according to social laws. Or the salad bar, where students claim to find human hairs and other UFO (unidentified food objects) are found daily.  So, that pretty much rules every remotely filling food out.

Whoever can eat a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos or Cheetos and not hear their stomach growling one period later, power to them. However, personally, chips could never fill me up for a full day. Even when I attempted at being “healthy” by eating Cheerios for lunch one day, I had to go get saltines from the nurse’s office later.

I probably sound like a jaded, critical kid, but there are many among me that have struggled to find a lunch that does its job. “I’ve started bringing lunch to school because the cafeteria food is so bad,” said Siri Andrews ’13.

I think that if money was invested in buying another turbo machine and the sandwich line was expanded, getting a custom sandwich would be much more realistic. Also, if food was checked for quality (aka no random objects in it) before being put out, students would be much more inclined to eat the hot meals.

Until then, I’ll either be enjoying my signature sandwich and arrive five minutes late to chemistry or purchasing three bags of chips a lunch just to get me semi-full.

View Comments (2)