Seniors’ Disapproval of Grim Reaper Day Shadowing Final School Hours

Every 48 minutes.  That’s how often someone is killed by a drunk driver in the U.S.

Every five minutes. That’s the attention span of seniors on the last day of school 2012.

Today was the 10th Annual Grim Reaper Day at Staples High School. It was also the last day of school for seniors, and while all agreed both days are important, many also  argued that scheduling the two together was a mistake.

“It makes me feel depressed,” said Shelby Schulman ‘12, echoing the sentiments of many seniors. “It’s a sad day.”

“It’s a very important day,” said Ben Greenberg ’12.  “But on our last day, the mood is killed.”

Two senior girls who were part of a group who skipped the Grim Reaper Day assembly entirely and asked to remain anonymous said, “Last year was the talent show and this year is depression.”

Student members of the Teen Awareness Group said they were aware of what many seniors were feeling but didn’t have much of an option.

Jackie Kerames ‘12, a senior and Co-President of T.A.G., said she realized that students were upset, but it was still possible to learn from the Grim Reaper day presentation and enjoy the rest of the day.

The conflict happened because the end of the school year has to be mapped out well in advance, said Assistant Prinicipal Patrick Micinilio.  The internsthip program, A.P. testing, and assemblies are all factors that must be taken into consideration.

DJ Sixsmith ’11, a senior last year and former member of T.A.G., put the whole day into perspective.  “Today is a little sad but it’s an important message,” Sixsmith said. “I can see why people are upset, but it’s just an hour of their day, and the seniors will still enjoy their last day”.