Teen Vital Voices Holds Lollipop Fundraiser

For those who are looking for a gift for a friend or would like to help a charitable cause this Valentine’s Day, Staples’ own Teen Vital Voices club is there to help.

On Feb 9 and 10, the club will be selling lollipops with cards in the cafeteria during all three lunch waves.  Then, in a manner similar to the candygram fundraiser, the lollipops will be delivered anonymously to Period 2 classes on Valentine’s day. Lollipops cost $2 for One, $3 for Two, and $4 for Three.

In addition, for every dollar donated, Teen Vital Voices will match that dollar and donate an additional dollar, up to $2000.

Funds raised from the event will support the Kakenya Center for Excellence, which is an all-girls school in a Kenyan village.  Staples Vital Voices has worked closely with the center for the last three years.

“The lollipop fundraiser is just one way that we can help the school and in turn help the student’s of Kakenya’s school,” said club vice president Jackie Appell ’13.

“We have watched the Center grow from the walls being put up to now an incredibly successful school of more than 100 students,” said club president Alexis Teixeira ’13, “With this additional funding they will be able to send more girls to school – it only costs $120 to send a girl to school for a year – and help them get more materials, like books, computers, or teachers.”

Supporting the Center also is of personal importance to many members of Vital Voices.

“Education is something I have definitely taken for granted and this club has opened my eyes to the importance of it,” said Apell.