Students and Primaries

In a dimly-lit Westport home last week, seven Staples students crowded around a television and began a frantic countdown.  When the clock ran down, the students started to cheer, laugh, and complain all at the same time.

These students weren’t celebrating the end of New Year’s Eve or even watching a football game.  Their sport of choice was an entirely different animal – the Republican primary in New Hampshire.

“Watching the primaries is as dynamic as any sport,” said ‘Primary Party’ attendee Doug Russ ’13, who’s attracted to the excitement surrounding the campaigning season. The primaries are particularly exciting for spectators like Russ this year, as multiple candidates such as Michelle Bachmann and Herman Cain have surged to first place only to crash and burn mere weeks later.

“Watching the primaries is like rooting for a sports team, but here you actually believe in a vision for the future for America,” said Russ, a student who leans right politically.

Russ is one of a few Staples students who follow the Republican primaries extensively.  Most won’t be found at primary parties anytime soon; they’re either too busy or disinterested .

But like Russ, fellow ‘Primary Party’ participant Michael Holtz is excited to watch the primaries.  Even though Holtz and Russ are on a different sides of the political spectrum, they watched the primaries together.

“Watching the primary helps me get into the shoes of a Republican candidate.  The Republicans have reasons for what they do, and watching the campaigns helps me understand why they think as they do,” said Holtz.

Some Staples students pay attention for an entirely different reason.

“I follow the primaries because they’re funny,” said Cole DeMonico ’13.

For DeMonico, the primaries are less about deciding who to vote for in the eventual presidential election and more of a non-stop comedy show.

“Honestly, if I could vote, my vote would be very counterproductive.  I would vote for Santorum.  He’s just an attractive guy!” DeMonico said. “Have you Googled his name?”

In some students’ eyes, the primaries possess a much darker humor.

“I don’t know if I should laugh because of how funny it is or cry because these are the people who will be running our country,” said Gabrielle Wimer ’12. She said if the public makes an uninformed and uneducated decision on election day, the joke could turn sour fast.

“I don’t follow politics because it depresses me,” agreed Sarah Wainshal ’12.

Wainshal’s reason helps explain why some Staples students are not following the early stages of the race.  Others, such as Ian Teran ‘13, are too busy with the hustle and bustle of high school.

“I just don’t have the time,” said Teran.

The remaining Staples students choose not to hound the campaign trail because politics fails to capture their interests.

“I can’t vote, so I really see no reason [to follow the primaries],” said Dylan Klein ’13. “It doesn’t really affect me.”

But the ‘Primary Parties’ will continue to be held across Westport.  Be it the excitement or the humor, following the news is very attractive for some Staples students.

As Holtz said, “It’s friends, food, and politics, all in one night. What can I say: it’s a lot of fun.”