Power Outages Hinder Students’ Study Habits

It’s a Sunday night, and students are half way done 
with their weekend homework.  The desk lamp is 
on, the laptop is open, and blackboard 
is visible on the computer screen.  
And then the power goes out.

The desk light shuts off, the laptop stops charging, and the words “This page is not available” take the place of what used to be blackboard.  These are all many aspects that accompany the many notorious Westport power outages, and no one can be positive just when the lights will turn back on.

With all of the recent power outages, Staples students are left lacking the resources they need to complete their homework on time.  Luckily, teachers tend to be aware of this issue.

“[Teacher’s] are normally understanding and give extensions,” Sam Kratky ’15 said, “especially if most of the class is having the same problem.”

For the latest power outage, which started on Oct. 29, due to the several inches of snow, Principal John Dodig sent on an email to teachers telling teachers to be more lenient when it comes to work and due dates.

Although teachers are told to be more understanding, Dodig believes that student’s try their best to get their work in on time.

“Most kids find a way to do it just as the teacher’s do,” said Dodig.

Most of the time, when student’s are left without electricity, teachers are too.  Dodig recognizes that not only do student’s have to work without power, but the teachers must continue their lessons without their usual resources.

Whether or not teachers are dealing with the power outages just like students, some faculty members believe that no power is just an excuse to not complete homework.

“I know they’re all lying,” said Collab teacher Michael Fulton.

Fulton, although sometimes skeptical of the student’s excuses, says that he is much more flexible about work because “we can’t control it.”

Although getting work done during a power outage is no easy task, Dodig suggests that students utilize the library, as well as friend’s houses that do have power.

However, if it is not possible for a student to get his or her work in on time, they should try and make it up as soon as possible, according to Fulton.

With all the recent storms and lengthy power outages, student’s should be prepared for the next one.

“I guess we need to get used to this,” said Dodig.