Student Assembly Hosts Board of Education Candidates Forum

On Wed. Sept. 2, Student Assembly welcomed the four candidates for the Westport Board of Education to the Staples library. Students asked the candidates questions on a variety of topics to learn more about their stances on the major educational issues facing Westport.

“This is a great event,” said J.J. Matthewson ’12, president of Student Assembly. “It allows us to help present to kids who the candidates are, and it gives the candidates some more time out in the public.”

The four candidates, David Gordon (Democrat), Mark Mathias (Democrat), Jennifer Tooker (Republican), and Jeannie Smith (Republican), fielded students’ questions on a wide range of topics. Over the course of the evening, they discussed how they would act in the annual budget struggle with the town, how they feel about the large number of AP math and science classes, and even the prospect of a student member on the Board of Education.

All of the candidates encouraged students to take a more active role in the Board of Education’s meetings, which take every other Monday in the Staples cafeteria at 7:30.

“I would love to see students show up and participate in our discussions,” said Mathias. Gordon mentioned how parents, teachers, and unions all send representatives to speak at Board of Education meetings when they are opened to the floor, and encouraged passionate students to attend as well.

When the final closing statements ended, students reacted positively to the forum.

“I didn’t realize what kind of role the Board of Education has in our daily education,” said Sarah Fox ’14.

“It was really interesting,” said Henri Rizack ’14. “I learned how much they care about our interests as students.”

Not only did the students find the forum useful and informative, but the candidates really enjoyed it as well.

“This crowd has their finger on the pulse of the most important issues,” said Tooker. “Each debate I learn more.”

Smith agreed with Tooker, and added that, “It is amazing to see students engage with us.” All of the candidates loved getting in touch with the people who will be the direct recipients of their actions on the Board of Education.

“This was a great experience,” said Smith with a laugh, “Can we do more of these?”

View Comments (3)