Home Access is assessed

Home Access is assessed

Home Access Center allows the Staples students to have complete access to most of their grades at all times. For some, checking Home Access is like breathing– even if no new grades are posted, just logging in can ease their stressed-out minds. On the other end of the spectrum, there are some who don’t even know they can access their grades online.

Which category do you fall under?

1. The Obsessive Checker

You’ve seen one, known one… or maybe you are one. Before the bell even finishes ringing, their fingers fly across the keyboard as they gain access to every test, quiz, and homework grade. Some find this absolutely terrifying, while this type finds it amazingly comforting. In the height of junior year stress, Rebecca Zlatkin ’15 takes solace in the comfort and security of Home Access.

“It doesn’t make me nervous. I’d rather know my grade before I get it back so I have time to process in a private setting,” Zlatkin said.

Similar to Zlatkin, Blair Gould ‘15 describes checking Home Access as a compulsive routine.

“I don’t even really think about it when I’m doing it. I check it before I go to bed, and as soon as I wake up in the morning,” Gould said.

Knowing the status of their grades helps to keep students knowledgeable about where they stand in a class. (This can also help to soften the blow of that rant from Mom you know is coming when she sees that C- on your physics test.)

2. The “Only When I Take My Test” Checker

The most common type among Staples, these students have a pretty laid-back attitude when it comes to grades. A few notches down from The Obsessive Checker, students like Anna Petrow ’15 only show their compulsive nature once in awhile.

“I check Home Access when there’s a big test going up, but other than that I don’t really feel the need to check it a lot,” Petrow said.

Along with many students at Staples, Katie Orlin ’17 does not get the daily anxiety that the Obsessive Checkers get.

Instead, she uses Home Access sporadically to help make sure everything is turned in on time. A nice middle ground, the “Only When I Take a Test” Checkers help even out the two other extremes found roaming the SHS hallways.

3. The “What’s Home

Access?” Checker

They lean back in their chair. They take sparse notes. And more often than not, take 20-minute “bathroom” breaks whenever they please.

They’re the only person in class actually surprised by their grade because they aren’t really quite sure what Home Access is or why people feel the need to check it every five minutes.

Tommy Aldrich ’14 cites it as an unnecessary, stressful resource for the students.

“I don’t really have any incentive to because I generally know the status of most of my grades without Home Access,” Aldrich said.

Home Access causes this type of student more stress, and they would rather be blissfully unaware of their frightening calculus quiz result.

When Andrew Marriott ’14 was asked how often he checked Home Access, his answer was short, sweet, and typically expected of The “What’s Home Access Center?” Checker:

“Nah.”