Hollywood’s Gift on Christmas

Hollywoods Gift on Christmas

They’ve made their lists and checked them twice. Now all they have to do is wait. The countdown to Dec. 25 has begun. As this is being written there are 3 days, 11 hours, and 5 minutes until Christmas is here. People are putting the finishing touches on their trees and homes. Radio stations are blasting Christmas jingles, just in case anyone forgot Santa Claus was coming to town.

In addition to Dec. 25 being Christmas, it is also the release date for many new films. If anyone thinks Chinese restaurants are the only businesses open on Christmas day, think again. Movie theaters will be in full operation showcasing some of this years most anticipated films.

Les Misérables: Based off of the beloved story comes director Tom Hooper’s cinematic production of “Les Miserables.” “Les Misérables” tells the story of ex-convict, Jean Valjean (Hugh Jackman), who has been hunted by a policeman, Javert (Russell Crowe), for years. Valjean takes on the responsibility of caring for factory worker Fatine’s (Anne Hanthaway) daughter named Corsette (Amanda Seyfried). Valjean’s adoption of Corsette brings significant change to everyone’s lives. With a star-studded cast and tons of pre-Christmas hype, this movie is already generating Oscar buzz.

Django Unchained: From writer and director Quentin Tarantino, “Django Unchained” is a western film that tells the story of Django (Jamie Foxx), a slave from the Deep South who has lived through the worst of conditions. His past brings him face -to face- with bounty hunter Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz). Schultz is on the hunt for the ferocious Brittle brothers and Django is the only one who can lead him to his bounty. He makes Django a life-changing promise in exchange for the Brittle brothers. In addition to Foxx and Waltz, this film also stars Leonardo Dicaprio as Calvin Candie and Samuel L. Jackson as Stephen. “Django” is also seen as an Oscar contender.

Parental Guidance: From writers Lisa Addario and Jose Syracuse comes director Andy Fickman’s new film, “Parental Guidance.” Produced by Chernin Entertainment and Walden Media, this movie is a comedy at heart which stars comedic idols Billy Crystal and Bette Midler. Artie (Billy Crystal) is an old school man who is stuck in his traditional ways. His wife Diane (Bette Midler) is an enthusiastic and people-pleasing woman. They get the wake up call of a lifetime when they agree to watch their grandkids while their daughter (Marisa Tomei) leaves for a business trip. Personalities collide when the grandparents quickly realize that their traditional outlook isn’t going to cut it with their grandchildren.

Whether you’ll gathering around a Christmas tree or sitting in front of a movie screen, happy holidays to everyone!