A Revolving Circle: Kindergarten Lessons Are Eternal

A+Revolving+Circle%3A+Kindergarten+Lessons+Are+Eternal+

I am among all the Soffe-wearing, intensely spirited girls who daily find the urge to enthusiastically chant “10 months for two”. I spent many years at the place that is an enigma to those who spend the two months of summer at home: sleepaway camp. Every Friday night, we celebrated Shabbat and recited one poem that never failed to surge a warm, sweet tingling feeling throughout my body. Robert Fulghum’s “All I Really Need To Know I Learned in Kindergarten” has not only been my favorite poem since I began my journey through camp at age nine, but I have carried it in my heart throughout my experiences as a high schooler because it offers essential words of wisdom.

1) Clean up your own mess

Throughout our lives, we’ve enjoyed multiple safety nets to support us through our many endeavors. Yet, as training wheels turn to car wheels and Barney turns to Gossip Girl, we find ourselves without those nets to fall back on. Whether we’ve wronged a friend or received a less-than-exemplary grade on a test, we learn in high school to be mature and fix the problems we create by using words and problem-solving skills.

2) Say you’re sorry when you hurt somebody

For those that are particularly stubborn (me included), admitting fault is one of the hardest things to do. But, considering that high school is the one time in our lives when we’re bound to make mistakes – whether it’s gossiping behind someone’s back or simply chatting on the side when a teacher is teaching a lesson – “sorry” remains one of the most crucial words in a high schooler’s vocabulary.

3) Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you

I am a firm believer that chocolate is the cure to everything: heartache, stress, the common cold. One of the most comforting rituals in times of stress has been coming home and indulging in a scoop (or two…or three) of Ben & Jerry’s “Half Baked” or “Phish Food” topped off with several balls of Tollhouse cookie dough.

4) Live a balanced life – learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work everyday some

It’s the little activities we do just for ourselves that create a nurtured life. From singing (or more like shrieking) random alternative music at the top of our lungs in the shower to traveling 30 minutes just to eat the best dim sum in the Tri-State area, high school teaches us balance.

5) When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands and stick together

Though it was definitely one of the most unnerving aspects of freshman year, finding friends to stick to and brave high school with makes the world a little less intimidating and a lot more enjoyable. Your friends are there, always, no matter what the reason.

Now, as we leave Staples and move onto the next step, we look forward to gaining immense amounts of knowledge and intellect. Some will take Philosophy 101 at a university. Others will learn interpersonal skills while working in Westport. Regardless of future plans, the wisdom we gained from the magical world of kindergarten is crucial to being successful as a human being, a friend, a family member, and much, much more.

I will continue to cherish the words of Fulghum’s poem, as they help me hold onto the glowing hope and optimism of the kindergarten room.

Fulghum’s Poem: 

Most of what I really need

To know about how to live

And what to do and how to be

I learned in kindergarten.

Wisdom was not at the top

Of the graduate school mountain,

But there in the sandpile at Sunday school

These are the things I learned:

Share everything.

Play fair.

Don’t hit people.

Put things back where you found them.

Clean up your own mess.

Don’t take things that aren’t yours.

Say you’re sorry when you hurt somebody.

Wash your hands before you eat.

Flush.

Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.

Live a balanced life –

Learn some and think some

And draw and paint and sing and dance

And play and work everyday some.

When you go out into the world,

Watch out for traffic,

Hold hands and stick together.

Be aware of wonder.