The Boy’s Code of Conduct

The Boys Code of Conduct

As a junior girl, I’ve been looking forward to Counties for basically my entire life.

To some—particularly boys—this sounds unbelievably silly. “It’s just a dance.” “Not a big deal.” But hear me out.

This will be the first dance that I have ever attended. There was a devastating cancellation of my middle school graduation dance, and an even worse discontinuation of Homecoming dances two years before I arrived at Staples.

Throw in the fact that proms here are solely for upperclassmen, and you’ve got many years of anticipation building up for Jan. 20.

From the images of the elegant ball in “Beauty and the Beast” to the exciting prom scene in “High School Musical 3”, I guess you could say that I have pretty high expectations. Even when Gabriella couldn’t go to prom, Troy still drove 1,000 miles in a broken-down truck to be with her! Cue the girlish squeals. Talk about romantic.

Dances are a big deal for a girl, even if it’s not her very first. And you can bet that we’ll all be waiting on the edge of our seats to see whether or not the years of waiting will be worth it.

But there’s one thing that can guarantee a disappointment: a bad date.

Unfortunately, Disney movies and Ryan Gosling have given girls a bit of an optimistic view on how boys should be, how they should look and talk and act. We’re not going to be ridiculous; we don’t want you to pull up with a horse and carriage (although it’s not completely out of the question).  We just want our nights to be unforgettable.

But don’t fret. Staples boys, there’s still hope. You can still be the topic of discussion the next day as being the best date ever, which I’m sure is every guy’s dream. If it’s not, it is now. That’s lesson one.

You play a big role in making sure that dances, particularly the upcoming Counties, fulfill the dreams of “a night to remember.” We know you’re no Superman, but you should all be able to pull off at least the bare minimum of proper conduct. That’s not optional.

Horror stories of your date chasing another girl or completely ignoring you haunt the gossip circles of upperclassmen ladies. So here’s everything you need to know about your own personal dance Code of Conduct. Colin, you should be reading this.

1. Act like you care. Look, we know you’re not particularly interested in making sure the tie and the corsage match, or all the planning that went into finding the right bus. But if you are blatant about your lack of enthusiasm, you may as well have not shown up at all. We definitely don’t want to hear you complain about being “dragged” there, like my senior friend did last year. Smile for the pictures and be polite to our parents. It’ll make a big difference.

2. Look nice. On this most sacred of days, spend a little more time than the standard 14 seconds on your hair. Straighten up a bit. Spray some cologne. Even the most basic hygienic efforts can go a long way, and I guarantee that your date will appreciate it. And yes, tuxedos are required.

3. Pay attention. You cannot even begin to fathom how many hours we spent searching for the perfect dress and styling every last strand of our hair. The amount we spent on just the right dress that fits just the right way? For some of us, up to $600. How much does it cost to get your hair done professionally? At least $130. A last minute mani-pedi? Usually around $50.

Your date appreciating all this effort? Priceless.

There’s nothing worse than finally arriving at the dance and having your date pay more attention to the food than to you, like my other friend’s experience at Counties. “There were a bunch of couples and they were being really cute and my date was totally neglecting me,” she said. Don’t let your other friends show you up—be a gentleman.

4. Just play along. Surprised to see a bright pink bus pulling up? Has your date’s mom cried for the third time? Disappointed at the quality of decorations in the venue? It all comes with the territory. Just grin and bear it, and maybe you’ll even enjoy yourself.

Most of this should, I hope, be common sense. Follow these tips, and you’ll be sure to be a highlight of your date’s night. And hey, you never know. You could end up having just as much fun as her.