Hurricane Sandy Approaches Westport

Sandy marks her arrival as waves crash along Mill Beach.

For more coverage of Hurricane Sandy See:

10.26.12

“I am seriously afraid of this hurricane. I basically live on an island,” said Angus Armstrong ’13. “There’s a river in front, behind, and an underground river to the right of my house and we flood all the time, even in mild rainfall.”

While the majority of students are anticipating school closings, Armstrong would be willing to trade a “potential week off of school” for the guarantee of no hurricane.

“I would be happier if it just dissipated in the Atlantic,” he said.

Students like Robby Vallone ’14 are taking a more relaxed approach to the upcoming storm.

“I live on a hill so I don’t have too much to worry about,” he said.

10.25.12

With the approach of Hurricane Sandy, Westport students and teachers alike are beginning to worry.

“It is not often that I raise such an alarm on the storm, but at the exact same time it is not often that I see the potential that weather models are showing right now,” said Jacob Meisel ’13, a teenage meteorologist known as the “Westport Weather Wiz.”

He went on to say that according to national weather models, Hurricane Sandy will have an East Coast landfall on Sunday night and will include gusts of up to 80-90mph.

Westport Police Captain Sam Arciola said that Westport has been meeting with emergency groups from other towns in order to prepare for the storm. “We’re currently in the pre-planning stages–getting all of the staffing and equipment together.”

“The staffing levels are important because we want to make sure that all of our police officers and emergency personnel can take care of their own families, homes, and personnel affairs while we deal with the storm,” he said.

Arciola urges early preparation due to the possibility of a prolonged event. “If the storm comes in close proximity to the region and there are power outages, you want to make sure that you have enough food, water, and fuel.”

A worker at Ace Hardware on Main Street said that many people have been coming in to get an array of necessities. “Flashlights, batteries, and propane are the biggest sellers, but people have also been buying tarps and sandbags,” she said.

Check Inklings for more updates as the storm progresses.