“The Artist” is Everything You Don’t Know You Want

I wasn’t really sure what to expect from “The Artist.” Written and directed by Michel Hazanavicius and produced by Thomas Langmann, it has been nominated for nine Oscars. But of course, I had my apprehensions about seeing such a different movie. On my way to the theatre, I marveled at its 97% on Rotten Tomatoes as I had a mini panic attack about my naturally but excessively loud chewing.

Whatever this movie was going to be, I was pretty sure it was supposed to be mostly quiet. I decided against popcorn.

This captivating film begins in 1927, and follows the story of silent movie actor George Valentin (Jean Dujardin) and aspiring actress Peppy Miller (Bérénice Bejo). As George begins to worry that the arrival of “talkies” will ruin his career, Peppy starts on the path of her dreams.

Both actors have Oscar nominations, which are more than well deserved. To say both people match their roles is like saying it gets a little bit chilly inAlaska.

Dujardin’s charming smile perfectly fits the bill of a tuxedo-cladHollywoodactor. His very presence on screen radiates easy class and confidence. Similarly, the minute Bejo appears she has charm in each bat of her eyelashes. Their chemistry also adds to the appeal of the picture, and after just 100 minutes I was begging for more of these two characters.

If I understand it, most people I speak to are concerned that it won’t be like a “normal” movie. I admit that I had the same unease, and to be frank, it’s not a normal movie. It’s not even the lack of talking that was odd, but the lack of everyday sounds. It definitely takes a while to get used to the absence of glasses clinking or doors closing.

However, who needs another romantic comedy where every line is predictable and every character is the same as the last? This unconventional movie was refreshing. It almost made me feel like I was living in that time. And who wouldn’t want to live in the Roaring Twenties? They sure knew how to party.

Going into the theatre, I had no idea what the story was about. But it wasn’t hard to follow just because there was no dialogue, and the plot itself was very interesting; it was indeed a clever decision to make a silent movie about silent movies.

Apart from the simplicity of words, “The Artist” isn’t missing anything that an Oscar-winning, beloved movie always needs. Its aspects include a dramatic fall from grace, a lovable man hitting rock bottom, and captivating spark between two people that is a pleasure to watch blossom.

It was both funny and sad; I was both laughing out loud and clutching my armrests so hard I had marks on my hands. I even cried a little. Go on, judge me. But not until you’ve seen it.