Staples Falls to Seventh

Ellie Kalatzi

Staples fell from the fifth best school in Connecticut to the seventh best school, according to a new report by U.S. News & World Report. U.S. News & World Report based its ranking on reading proficiency, math proficiency and college readiness, among other factors.

Farmington, Wilton and Darien all leapfrogged Staples. However, Staples surpassed the Connecticut International Baccalaureate Academy, which fell from first to 10th.

Even with the fall, students appeared to be unconcerned about Staples’ future and standing on the state level.

“[Staples] is still one of the best schools in the state,” said Hannah Myers ’14. She added, “We are a phenomenal school.”

In addition, although Staples fell in state rankings, it improved its standing on the national stage. Staples lifted its ranking to 296, six higher than its rank of 302 from the previous year.

For students, however, these rankings were little more than meaningless numbers.

“These rankings are all quantified systems, which makes it for schools to switch around in the rankings,” Jill Rappaport ’13 said. “I don’t really care about the ranking, and, regardless, seven is still good.”

Connor Hardy ’14 agreed. “It doesn’t matter to me what rank we are. [Staples] is number one in my heart,” he said.

The consensus from students is that, at the end of the day, rankings from a removed organization mean nothing.

“We should be less concerned about the number and more concerned about how we think Staples is doing,” said Rappaport.