Clinton’s private emails published about Benghazi attacks

Clinton%27s+private+emails+published+about+Benghazi+attacks

Jackie Sussman, Opinions Editor

On May 22, 2015, emails from former Secretary of State and current Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton were published regarding the events that happened on September 11, 2012 in Benghazi, Libya.

 

In March of earlier this year it became public that while Secretary of State, Clinton used her personal email on a personal server — hrod17@clintonemail.com — to orchestrate her job in foreign affairs.  Such conduct generated mixed reactions, from individuals all the way up to the top jobs in the White House.  Speaker of the House John Boehner, according to the Washington Times, said that Clinton “ignored the law” in using a private email.

 

One of the major crises when Clinton was Secretary of State was the dubbed “Battle of Benghazi,” in  which the American diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, was attacked by Islamic militants. Among the casualties was Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and U.S. Foreign Service Information Management Officer Sean Smith.  When the events at Benghazi first occurred, there was much debate over the Obama administration’s evaluation that the attack was actually inspired by an anti-Islamic video called the “Innocence of Muslims.”

 

According to the Wall Street Journal, nearly 300 emails were made public concerning the attack.  These emails were released due to the ruling of federal District Court Judge Rudolph Contreras on May 19 that said that the 55,000 pages of emails sent from Clinton’s private email that she turned over to the court are to be published on a rolling basis.

 

The emails, as Clinton stated when she first answered questions about the use of a private email while being the top foreign affairs officer in the country, did not contain “classified information.”

 

However, the emails do touch upon the “Innocence of Muslims” film and whether or not it actually caused the attack.  For example, some emails showed that there was a threat in Benghazi against Americans long before the attack on the diplomatic facility occurred.  One email from Clinton’s deputy chief of staff Jake Sullivan to Clinton on June 10, 2011, stated “There is a credible threat info against the hotel that our team is using – and the rest of the Intl community is using, for that matter.  DS going to evacuate our people to alt. locations.  Info suggested attack in next 24-48 hours. Will keep you posted.”

 

More information about different issues while Clinton was Secretary of State is to come as the emails will continually be released until January 2016, right before the Iowa Caucus.