Featured Athlete: Henry Wynne, FCIAC Champion

Henry Wynne ’13 has run his way into Staples history. This cross-country star has received a lot of attention with his astounding 5K time. At FCIAC champions last week Wynne won with his time of 15 minutes and 37 seconds. This time was responsible for Wynne achieveing the title of FCIAC champion.

These results do not come without dedication and hard work. Wynne practices everyday with the Staples Cross Country team. Each practice they warm-up, work on different types of running, and end with weight training.

Wynne has had many accomplishments in his running career.  Staples Cross Country Coach Laddie Lawrence believes Wynne’s greatest accomplishment thus far has been completing his mile in 4 minutes and 16 seconds. It is the fastest mile time for a sophomore in Staples’ history.

Along with all of Wynne’s accomplishments, Lawrence  is very proud that the weight training has paid off. “We’ve been working on making his body stronger. He can already do 10 pull-ups,” Lawrence said.

Wynne is a leader on and off the track. He does not only contribute to the team by doing well at competitions, but is also a major leader. “He provides a positive example for the younger kids. He shows that if you work hard and put in enough effort, you will improve,” Lawrence said.

With the Cross Country season coming to a close, Wynne hopes to finish in the top 5 at his next meets, the Class LL meet and the Class open. He will then take a one week break to recover before the indoor season starts up in the winter.

As only a junior Lawrence sees great hope for him, “if he continues to improve the way he has been, he will be one of, if not the best, middle runner in the state,” Lawrence said.