A Variety of Talent

Graphic by Nate Rosen ’14, photos by Claire Quigley ’14 and Alex Zuckerman ’12.
The 2013 Variety Show

On April 11, students performed in the annual Variety Show, in which freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors show talents ranging from stand-up comedy to singing to playing instruments.

Some of this year’s performers included Doug Raigosa ’16, who showed off his amazing jump-roping skills, Rebecca Finell ’13 and Grace Bergonzi ’13, with a hip-hop ballet performance, and a cello duet featuring Kevin Coughlin ’13 and Max Liben ’14.

One performer this year, Jacqueline Devine ’13, has been singing in the Variety Show since her freshman year. This year, she sang, “Beautiful” by Christina Aguilera, and she and Rachel Shapiro ’13 ended the show singing “Stay” by Rihanna with Jake Landau ’13 playing accompaniment.

Devine put in a lot of preparation for the Variety Show. “I sit down at my piano and run through a song again and again and again,” she said.

Devine was nervous to perform in front of people she knows. “It’s always a little nerve-racking, but it’s more exciting,” she said.

Shapiro agreed that it’s scary to sing in front of people she knows. “I don’t get over my fear really. I just remember that I’ll regret it if I don’t [perform], but I’m usually shaking,” she said. “Then, after a minute or so, it just fizzles away.”

Casey Lu ’15 loved all the acts in the show this year but wished it had more variety. “The acts were all really good, though the show overall was not that diverse in terms of acts. Everyone singing was really talented, but that definitely took up most of the show,” she said.

Although the performances may not have been as diverse as some liked, Lu thinks the Variety Show is important for Staples. “I think it’s important because people get an opportunity to showcase talents their fellow classmates may have not known about,” she said.

The following students performed in the Variety Show:

• Sammi Ryan ’16 and Maddie Gray ’16 sang “Breakeven” by The Script
  • Doug Raigosa ’16 performed a jump-roping routine
  • Kevin Coughlin ’13 and Max Liben ’14 played a cello medley
  • Rebecca Finell ’13 and Grace Bergonzi ’13 danced to “Feel This Moment” by Pitbull ft. Christina Aguilera
  • Jacqueline Devine ’13 and Rachel Shapiro ’13 sang “Stay” by Rihanna with Jake Landau ’13 playing accompaniment
  • Jacqueline Devine ’13 sang “Beautiful” by Christina Aguilera
  • Rachel Shapiro ’13 sang “Skyfall” and “Hometown Glory” by Adele
  • Jordan Rubin ’13, Henry Dumke ’13, Henry Sixsmith ’13 and Will Dumke ’13 performed
  • Lexi Andros ’13, Charlie Lo Presti ’13, John Hunter ’13, Mike Ljuderg ’12 and Harry Zec ’13 performed “Sunny” by Bobby Hebb
  • Ian Blanchardon ’15 played guitar