Staples Fall Sports Rake in the Funding

Cheerleaders model Mitchells dresses for the end-of-year fundraiser, Varsity Vogue.
Left to right: Sammy Troy 15, Sarah Ellman 15, Alexa Davis 15, Olivia Blevins 15, Sloane Cooper 15
Cheerleaders model Mitchells dresses for the end-of-year fundraiser, Varsity Vogue. Left to right: Sammy Troy ’15, Sarah Ellman ’15, Alexa Davis ’15, Olivia Blevins ’15, Sloane Cooper ’15

A walk through the hallway outside of the gym proudly displays Staples’ sports feats throughout the years, achieved through hard work, great coaches, and funding.  At the beginning of each sports season, parents of varsity captains encourage players and their families to join the Booster Club, which provides much funding for each sport.  However, in addition to this organization of parents with pockets full of donations, teams hold many fundraisers of their own throughout the season.

The varsity volleyball team is known for their frequent bake sales at every home game, but the girls also hold other fundraisers outside of school.

“We had a killer car wash to support our team,” varsity player Virginia Gerig ’17 said.  “It was great for team bonding and we raised a lot of money.”

Although hungry students may like the bake sales the most, the team’s favorite method of fundraising is the car wash, which raises the most money out of every other event they hold.

Sharing the fall season with volleyball, the football team also raises money through bake sales and logowear stands at home games.  “We have them usually every game, and they sell sweatshirts, shirts, scarves, and just a lot of accessories,” varsity football starter Ryan Fitton ’17 said.  “It helps out the team’s funding, and we also get to see other students repping the Wreckers.”

While the football team gathers team funds during the fall, varsity cheerleaders use their pep and positivity during the fall and winter seasons to raise money for the team in a way that is unique to their sport.

“Our biggest fundraiser is Varsity Vogue, which is a fashion show at the end of the year at Mitchells,” Troy ’15 said.  “It’s a really special event, and everyone just has a lot of fun with it.”