The countdown to Christmas starts early

Emma Lederer

As soon as the festivities of Thanksgiving come to a close, the Christmas season officially begins. People run out to buy trees, put up their wreaths, and stock up on bottles of eggnog. While Christmas is super exciting, and the spirit of it is undeniably contagious, when is it too early to begin celebrating? Christmas commercials air before Thanksgiving, and some even before Halloween.

ABC Family airs the 25 Days of Christmas starting on December 1st, which features tons of great Christmas movies. However, they also have the Countdown to 25 Days of Christmas, which airs from November 20th to the 30th. This program has a couple Christmas movies, but also has a bunch that are not related to the holiday, such as “Harry Potter” and “Mulan.”

Some believe that this predecessor is great to kick off the Christmas spirit.

“Personally I love the Countdown, and the 25 Days of Christmas,” says Carolynn Van Arsdale ‘16. “I don’t think it’s ever too early to start watching Christmas movies.”

Others, however, believe that movies related to this holiday should be watched closer to when the holiday begins.

“I think it should start after Thanksgiving to put you in the Christmas mood,” says Helena Leskow ‘16. “Celebrating Christmas too early makes me less excited when the day actually comes.”

Katie Wong ‘16 believes the same, saying that it’s crazy that people get into the Christmas spirit so early. “It’s completely absurd that people start getting into the mood for Christmas in practically like, October,” she says. “People should watch Christmas movies when it’s actually time for them.”

Regardless of how early you believe the holiday season truly begins, everyone can find a movie on either the Countdown to 25 Days of Christmas or on the 25 Days of Christmas that they can enjoy.