Changing Buildings Causes No Drastic Differences in Comfort

Changing+Buildings+Causes+No+Drastic+Differences+in+Comfort+

Between 1978 and 1981, Staples High School was renovated from multiple small buildings to one much larger facility. The renovations were inconvenient, loud and time consuming, according to Grade Level Assistant, Alice Addicks.

While the school was undergoing these changes it was fairly uncomfortable. “In the winter time you were always freezing. You never took your coat off,” said Addicks. Although the temperature has changed, it has not necessarily improved.

Students and teachers expected that converting the school from many buildings to one would help regulate the temperature. But to this day, the school still rarely has a comfortable temperature.

“I’m not sure they were more comfortable then or now,” said Tom Owen, who has been working at Staples High School since before the renovations.

“I’m around this building all day long in all different places and in one place it could be 35 and in another place it could be 75,” Addicks said.

Many students have similar complaints. When Michael Jonas ’15 was asked about the temperature in the school he commented particularly on the low temperatures in the language labs.

“The HVAC system is very complex, with hundreds of valves that control hot water and/or cold air. When they get stuck in the open or closed position, they do not do their job for a particular location in the building. Thus, your class could be cold while next door could be just right,” Principal John Dodig said.

This upcoming winter, students and staff should plan ahead when it comes to attire. Despite the heat being on, no one should leave their jackets in the car just in case they end up stuck in one of the cold spots of the school.

“To this day I still don’t quite understand the heating and air conditioning in this building,” Addicks said.