Annual Reflections Program to Begin Nov. 2

Contributed by Diana Sussman
This year’s theme is “The Magic of a Moment.”

It’s that time of the year, Staples—time to get creative for the the PTA’s annual Reflections program.

This year’s theme for the nationwide competition is “The Magic of a Moment,” and the final deadline for submissions is Dec. 14.

Students may submit more than one entry per category, in as many categories as they want. There are seven categories: musical composition, dance choreography, film production, literature, photography, and visual arts. The competition also occurs at three levels: local, state, and national.

The local level includes only Staples students, with the winner and runner-up receiving gift cards of 50 dollars and 20 dollars. Local winners will then move on to compete at the state level, where winners attend a formal dinner, with a celebrity host awarding them prizes. Finally, students proceed to the national competition, where prizes include an all expense paid trip to California and 800 dollars in cash.

Staples students have been very successful in the competition. According to Diana Sussman, one of the PTA Co-Chairs for Reflections, “Staples students generally tend to at least place at the state level.” Last year, Melanie Mignucci ’12, won first prize in the literature category at both the state and national levels.

Sussman says, “Reflections is a real opportunity to express yourself in the medium of your choice
and be recognized for it. Further, it also serves as an opportunity to have your work judged by successful professionals in that field and discuss with them what they think of your work, their inspirations, and how they achieved their accomplishments. ”

The Reflections program is also said, according to Sussman, to look great on a college resume.

Guidelines and entry forms will be at the front desk in the lobby and in the library as of Nov. 2.

For more information on the program, visithttp://www.ctpta.org/programs/reflections/index.htm or http;//www.pta.org/2032.asp. Or, contact either of the Staples PTA Co-Chairs for Reflections: Diana Sussman [203-227-3606 or dlsuss@aol.com] or Susan Teicher [203-341-9755 or seteicher@optonline.net].