WWPT’s broad cast of roles contributes to success

Fist-clenching games are the key ingredients to sports’ buffet of excitement. But many fans don’t recognize the facilitators who capture the game’s excitement and thrill: the announcers.
Steven Warshavsky ’16, the sports director of the Wrecker Radio Station WWPT, feels that broadcasters play an essential role in covering the players’ performance and conveying that performance. “I give the players a ton of credit, but I do think broadcasters are overlooked,” Warshavsky said.

Mike Zito, faculty advisor for WWPT, also believes that not enough people realize the amount of preparation that goes into a game. He said, “We need lots of people pitching in behind the scenes,” as “thankless jobs” contribute tremendously to the final product.

In fact, sports announcers can achieve great fame by capturing the play-by-play of games. They often come up with the illustrious sayings that capture moments in sports history. Al Michael’s “Do you believe in miracles?” and Howard Cosell’s “Down goes Frazier!” are both famous catch phrases.

Staples students also have the ability to be influential in their broadcasts, just on a local level. Former Staples announcer Eric Gallanty believes that preparation is key to an announcer’s success.

For Gallanty, who is currently an announcer at Syracuse University, nailing a call is equivalent to “the way an athlete feels hitting a game-winning three.” As he was never the best athlete growing up, he loves announcing because it allows him to be “a vital part of the game without playing.”

Justin Schwebel ’16, the station’s technology specialist, loves his job as well. He feels the greatest reward of working behind the scenes is knowing that he can greatly enhance the experience of a viewer.

New technology has made WWPT’s broadcasts more efficient and innovative. The Wrecker broadcasting crew recently began using Tieline Technology, a tool that allows them to crispen the broadcasts of away games by sending a digital signal rather than a cell phone signal. Additionally, WWPT recently used a three-camera shoot for the first time during a football game, presenting viewers with multiple angles.

“Despite the game’s natural excitement, the enthusiasm and the way the broadcasters call the game definitely adds to the thrill,” Warshavsky said.