Staples Students Give Back

Staples Students Give Back

The holidays are over. Many Staples students are coming home from luxury vacations, showing off newly received Christmas presents, or both. However, in the midst of all the receiving, many Staples students have found ways to give back—not just during the holidays but also all throughout the year.

Laura Judd ’17 has been working with the National Charity League for three years, alongside many other Staples girls. One of the draws of NCL is getting the chance to perform charity work alongside your friends, but also meeting girls from other schools. “The members partake in many charity events both alone and in the group,” she says.  “These events can range from throwing holiday parties for children less fortunate to stocking the shelves at the Gillespie center to assure that all who stay there can have a warm meal.”

However, Judd says that her favorite activity is throwing holiday parties for the Bacharach House. The NCL group has lots of fun activities for the kids to do, like decorating cookies or playing games in the back yard.

“I would safely say that joining NCL is one of the best decisions I have made in my life,” says Judd.

Noah Prince ’15 has performed with a similar group, SLOBS (Service League of Boys), since the beginning of sophomore year. SLOBS performs all types of service for the community, ranging from helping out after storms like Sandy to tutoring less fortunate kids after school. This year, Prince is on the board with seven other Staples boys who run the club consisting of 150 members and their parents.

“I like how the club is able to blend both charity work and a fun experience together,” says Prince. “It makes you feel good that you spent a part of your day making someone feel good, and it’s an even bigger plus when you get to have a great time with your friends.”

Students like Emily Ressler ’14 have found ways to turn their talents into ways to give back to the community. Ressler performs with “For the Heart,” a community service musical ensemble made up of high school students from around Fairfield County that sings classic Broadway and Disney tunes at senior centers, healthcare facilities, and various town events free of charge.

“It’s hard for anything to make me feel the way I do when I perform at an elderly home,” Ressler says. “It’s something so small and easy for me, yet it is such a huge gesture to them, and knowing that you’re affecting someone in the special way only music can is an incredible experience.”