Top 5 Passover Foods

Most people sigh when they realize how soon the Jewish holiday, Passover, is approaching. For many Jewish families, this means clearing out all wheat products from their kitchen and restocking their cabinets with boxes and boxes of flourless treats. However, for some people, the holiday is not viewed as a nuisance because they enjoy celebrating Passover and eating the traditional foods.

Matzo:

Although nothing can truly replace a nice doughy piece of white bread, some believe that Matzo comes as a close second. From salted matzo to egg matzo and even chocolate covered matzo, this crunchy snack can satisfy many students’ cravings for bread. “To be honest, I think matzo pizza and matzo peanut butter and jelly might even taste better than normal pizza and peanut better and jelly,” Gabriella Rizack ’13 said. The misconception that matzo tastes like a piece of cardboard can be proven wrong when it is jazzed up with a nice slab of peanut butter and jelly.

Charoset:

A combination of apples, walnuts, cinnamon, and red wine is a common concoction enjoyed during the 8 nights of Passover. As a symbol of the bricks and mortar that the Jews used to keep the pyramid together, Charoset can be found at almost every Seder. “Although it doesn’t look that delicious, it is nice to have something so sweet and different during my Passover dinners,” Drew Beitman ’15 said. This common Passover food can be served on Matzo or even eaten plain.

Matzo Ball Soup:

A Jewish tradition is to serve Matzo Ball Soup before the main course of the Passover dinner. People don’t even realize that this is kosher for Passover because it is so prevalent on many menus all year long. “I order this at the Sherwood diner so often, I have never even thought twice that it was a Passover food,” Alec Maki ’13 said. Passover seders differ slightly from family; to family however, at almost ever seder Mom’s homemade Matzo Ball Soup can be found.

Macaroons:

Now comes time for dessert. It is an annoyance to get excited for dessert and take a bite into a flourless cake that resembles nothing of a regular cake. However, for all of you with a sweet tooth out there, there is hope. “Being a coconut fanatic myself, I can attest to the fact that coconut macaroons are up there with all of my other flour-filled coconut desserts, “Danielle Frost ’13 said. A chocolate or coconut macaroon is the perfect way to finish off a long Passover night.

Lollycones:

Coming home after school may be difficult for a Jew during the 8 days of Passover. You can’t just walk into the pantry causally and grab a handful of pretzels or a few cookies. Since those temptations aren’t even there for some religious people who clean out their pantries, their only option is a lollycone or two. These chocolate pretzels are just as sufficient as that Chips Ahoy. “Lollycones take my taste buds on the ride of their lives,” Zach Morrison ’13 said.

View Comments (4)