Brangelina calls it quits

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have always been an iconic couple in the media. They seem to avoid the drama that comes with being famous, so the news of their recent uncoupling has been a shock for many.

To some, it’s obvious that famous couples are going to break up. It seems as though it happens way too often these days. No one can have the so-called perfect relationship in Hollywood, and through the media it is not easily depicted. Layla Wofsy ’19, said, “Their breakup was kind of expected, usually couples like that eventually break up.” Celebrity couples have a lot of attention in the media, but no one really knows what goes on behind closed doors.

While some may think it’s expected, fans like Katherine Coogan ’17 are upset about the split. “To hear that they have really broken up is pretty shocking and makes me a little said.” There are many more fans like Katherine, who are in disbelief that a “perfect” couple like Brangelina would call it quits.

However, many Staples students regard this issue as “unimportant”, or “a waste of time.” Julie Kaplan ’17 said, “I’m too busy to be caught in the drama.” To some students, this issue is way beyond what they care about, and the split of celebrity couples does not seem to affect them.

For others, it was hard to believe because the media is always spreading false rumors and accusations. Some may deny the fact that it is true, for the sake of their emotions. According to Mathilda Arvidsson ’18, “When I heard the news, I thought it was just a rumor. I got kind of sad when I heard it was actually true.”

Both Brad and Angelina have been married before, and both those marriages ended in a divorce. For their fans however, this one was hard to accept because they appear to have no relationship issues. Many believe they were an exemplar couple. According to Coogan, “they just seemed like the quintessential Hollywood pairing to me.”

Recently, there has been an increase in celebrity divorces. These include Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber, Drew Barrymore and Will Kopelman, Mary J. Blige and Martin ‘Kendu’ Isaacs and Sharon and Ozzy Osbourne.