Trekkie or Not, Staples Students Anticipate “Star Trek” Premiere

Trekkie or Not, Staples Students Anticipate Star Trek Premiere
Graphic from blog.zap2it.com

The sequel to Star Trek, called “Star Trek Into Darkness,” comes to theaters today much to the anticipation of many “trekkies.” The film features the same cast, including Chris Pine, Zoe Saldana and Zachary Quinto along with many others returning  and is once again directed by J.J. Abrams. In this new installment of “Star Trek,” the new villain will be played by “Sherlock Holmes” Benedict Cumberbatch.

Brittany Braswell ’15, an avid action-adventure and sci-fi fan, has high hopes for the movie.

“‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ will hands down be the best of any film from the series,” Braswell said. “Just from the trailer I know it will be an adventurous thrill ride with stunning visuals.”

Indeed, the film is highly praised by critics for its stellar CGI special effects. It will also be shown in 3-D to highlight such exquisite visuals.

Other students are less enthusiastic than Braswell, but are still willing to give “Into Darkness” a try and see how the remake compares to the original.

Wyatt Krone ’16 said, “It seems interesting to see the modern version of the old series.”

Despite limited “Star Trek” experience, Nic Narang ’16 agrees with Krone.

“ I’ve never seen a ‘Star Trek’ movie before, however, by society’s opinion of the film I feel influenced to see it,” Narang said.

Staples students remain split between those who are avid “trekkies” or only “Star Trek” beginners, but the movie is sure to be a huge success, as its predecessor raked in $257.7 million in North America alone in 2009.

This film is rated PG-13.