Instagram captures flavor

If you went out to eat and didn’t post a picture of what you got, did you really go out?

It seems that lately food Instagrams, popularly known as “foodagrams,” are becoming more and more popular by the day.

What is the cause of this new Instagram epidemic? “If I eat something really good or something that looks pretty, I want to show people,” Lauren Clement ’16 says.

Clement adds that she even goes to certain restaurants known for their appealing food layout just to take a good picture. “The Granola Bar is one of my favorites,” Clement says.

But being able to show your followers the exotic salad you just enjoyed or that deliciously golden grilled cheese you’re about to inhale isn’t the only reason Instagramming food has become so popular recently.

“It’s a known fact that people post pretty food on Instagram because they know it will attract the most likes,” Jordan Ragland ’16 says as she speaks the harsh but accurate truth.

When it comes to Instagram, likes are everything. It seems as if the amount of likes your pictures get determines whether you are an Instagram pro or an Instagram amateur.

While some like to use their own personal accounts to post their mouth-watering meals, others take foodagram to a whole new level by creating their own Instagram account solely dedicated to posting food.

Logan Murphy ’15 is one example of this type of food-enthusiast. “One of my passions is making food, so I wanted to make an entirely separate account where I could just focus on the food,” Murphy ’15 says.

Mackenzie Wood ’16 is also one of the many Staples students who has created their own foodagram account. “I didn’t want to clutter my own personal account with tons of food pictures, so I just made an entirely new account,” Wood says.

There are some downsides to foodagram, however. “If I’m with a friend and they’re taking pictures of their food, I get a little offended ‘cause it seems as though the foodagram is more important than our meal,” Grace Hardy ’16 says.

Pushing aside the negative effects of foodagram, it is still undoubtedly popular and some accounts are even taking off.

“My account is actually pretty successful. We have over 500 followers. Go hit it up at   @fooodagram, emphasis on the three O’s, and throw us a follow,” Wood adds with a laugh.

Whether it’s an increase in the food addict population or a recent thirst for the likes and followers, foodagram is blowing up and becoming the new fad.  “I’m obsessed with my foodagram and am so thankful I made it,” Murphy says.