A Giant Superbowl

Defense does not win championships.

At least that’s what this NFL season has taught us.

Today at 6:30 PM, the 27th defensively ranked New York Giants and the 31st defensively ranked New England Patriots will have a rematch of Super Bowl XLII at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

After the Giants beat the previously undefeated Patriots four years ago in one of the greatest upsets in football history, expectations are running high for this game.

“I’m excited to see the Patriots high-powered offense go up against the sturdy defense of the Giants,” said Connor Hardy ’14. Bobby Jacowleff ’14 agreed with Hardy’s assessment, saying he was, “Looking forward to a great game.”

Even though the majority of both teams are made up of new players, the key players from both the Giants and Patriots Super Bowl run four years ago are still there.

However, the team’s offenses have changed dramatically. The Patriots are still a high-powered offensive machine, but now they rely on short screens with Wes Welker and two dynamic tight ends, Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez.

The Giants rushing attack, which sustained the offense in 2007 and led them to a Super Bowl victory, is now largely ineffective. Quarterback Eli Manning, who at the beginning of the season called himself “elite,” has backed up his words with his best season yet, and now leads the offense.

The Giants defense, which was the main reason why they won Super Bowl XLII, still has a prolific pass rush, but their secondary ranked 29th in the league in pass yards allowed, and will have trouble containing future Hall of Fame quarterback Tom Brady if the pass rush can not get to him.

The majority of Staples students think that this Super Bowl rematch will end in a similar fashion to Super Bowl XLII: a Giants victory. “I see the Giants winning by seven in a game that completely relies on how effective Eli Manning can be,” said Jacowleff. Hardy, an avid Jets fan, agrees, saying, “The Giants are obviously going to win.”

Pick: The Patriots are favored by 3.5 points, but my prediction is the same as Jacowleff’s and Hardy’s: a Giants victory. In a close and thrilling game, Eli Manning comes through in the clutch, leading the Giants to a 30-24 victory.

View Comments (1)