Here’s the long and short of spring styles

Graphic by Emma Rhoads ’14

You’re never really sure what to wear during midterms and finals – is a sweatshirt AND a baseball cap overdoing it?! Your spent-all-night-studying look probably took more time than your actual studies.

You work too hard on each of your spirit week outfits to find the perfect balance between looking cute but showing school spirit – where’s the happy medium between cat ears and full-body paint?

You try for at least a half hour each morning to look effortlessly trendy – tousled hair, a baggy shirt and pink blush give you the my-alarm-didn’t-go-off-but-I-STILL-look-good facade.

Only a date with Ryan Gosling would be a valid incentive to shave your legs.

If any of the above statements sound like you, then the transition from pants to shorts is probably a cause of stress.

Now, this may seem like an easy decision – start wearing shorts when it’s warm, right?

Psht.

There is a month of limbo between mid-March and mid-April where the days range from 28 degrees with flurries to mid-60s and blue skies. This crazy weather sends many girls and boys at Staples up the wall. Jeans and boots? Capris? Shorts?!

You don’t want to be the only one wearing shorts and risk looking racy in front of your teachers, but you also don’t want to be the hermit who keeps the black jean and boot look until it is physically impossible to maintain a healthy body temperature.

Well, my friends, I have the answer.

From the wise words of Kanye West, “Believe in your flyness, conquer your shyness.”

Translated: If all your hard work throughout volleyball season paid off and you can’t wait to show off your toned legs and it just happens to be mid-march, who cares?

Rock those new jean shorts.

Realistically, your teachers will probably be jealous that they have to wear nice skirts and collared shirts for the next three months while the student body slowly acclimates to the balmy weather.

If your favorite dark jeans make you feel like you could run the world (yes, that was a Beyoncé reference), then why trade them out so soon?

Strut the halls, and always remember … you’re flawless.