Left hanging by your teacher

Emma Lederer

It’s 2:15 p.m., and the bell that ends the school day has finally rung after a thoroughly exhausting seven hours full of school work. As you quickly put up your chair, the only thing on your mind is how to get your teacher conference on time.

You make it to your teacher’s office five minutes after the school day has ended, on time, but panting heavily from some intense speed-walking.

Five minutes pass waiting for your teacher, and you’re still stuck on the same level of Candy Crush.

Ten minutes later, and you peer into the office to ask, as politely as you can, if any other teacher knows where yours is.

Fifteen minutes later, as you finally get to respond to an email that was sent days ago, you realize your teacher isn’t coming.

It happens to the best of us: getting stood up at a student-teacher conference. While it’s definitely not equivalent to getting stood up for a date, it’s comparable in some ways.

After you get over the initial insecurity and/or annoyance, you come to a realization. Your teacher probably just forgot, or something else came up out of the blue.

Even though being stood up for a conference can be annoying, it’s not the end of the world.  There’s always tomorrow, and reaching your teacher is only an email away.