Top 10 Best Things About Fall

Top 10 Best Things About Fall
Abbey Fernandez

There’s no doubt summer is the best season simply because there is no school. However, fall is a close second, not only because my birthday is in October (the 21st, for all you oh so kind gift givers), but because it bears the following 10 smile-worthy things.

1.     Dark nail colors

Don’t get me wrong, bright summer-colored nails are fun, but dark, rich winter colors are better. We appreciate “Fiji” and “Carousel Coral,” but once fall rolls around, it’s all about “Lincoln Park After Dark” and “Chinchilly.” Thank you Essie making your fall colors so appealing that we cannot help but feel the “Which color should I choose?!” panic upon entering the nail salon.

2.     Halloween

A holiday centered on dressing up and eating candy, does it get any better? No long religious services to sit through, no distant aunts to get kisses on the cheek from, no having to worry about being single and sending flowers to yourself. This holiday is unadulterated happiness. I just wonder what age it is no longer socially acceptable to go trick or treating at because I am 18 and still going strong.

3.     TV Series Premieres

That’s right, good TV is back. Most of your favorite shows ended their seasons in the spring, but not to fret, they are back again! Whether you’re an avid Glee fan like my father (not kidding) or a New Girl addict,  they’re all back.

4.     Warm Beverages

Dump your iced teas and coffees down the sink, its finally time for warm beverages again. There is no better way to start your morning (or warm your hands) than with a white chocolate pumpkin spice latté from Dunkin Donuts. And if those drinks are too fancy for you, everyone loves a warm cup of apple cider.

5.     Sunday Night Football

Nothing is more characteristic of a Sunday night in the Fernandez family house than this scene: my Dad, a devoted Jets fan since a little boy is wearing his Sanchez jersey, our dachshund is dressed up in Hunter green and white, and me yelling from my desk to “TURN IT DOWN,” as I try to complete my homework through the NBC football jingle. As disturbing as this scene may be, fall would not be the same without it.

6.     Apple picking

Clementines are great in the winter. Blueberries are sweet in the summer. But let’s be honest, the fall is all about apples. Macintosh, Gala, Honey Crisp–they’re all delicious. Head over to Silverman’s Farm for a fun day of apple picking then head straight to the kitchen and prepare fall delicacies’ out of your freshly picked apples (apple crumble is strongly recommended).

7.     Pumpkin carving

Even if your house isn’t decked out for Halloween, pumpkins are a timeless and classy decoration. Just leave the knife work to someone experienced.

8.     Running weather

There is nothing worse than having to run in the bitter 30 degree winter mornings or the 98% humidity summer afternoons. Fall is a perfect balance. The 50-60 degree weather provides ideal running conditions and does not leave you feeling like you’ve ran through Egypt in a snowsuit.

9. Candy corn

These triangular pieces of sweetness are my absolute favorite part of this season. When the Brachs bags come out, I know fall is here. Plus technically its “corn” so isn’t it healthy too? The benefits of candy corn are endless.

10. Gain an hour of sleep

Bless you Day Light Savings Time. Thank you for the extra hour of sleep. No seriously, from a first-semester-over-worked-senior, thank you.